ANAHEIM, Calif. - Scott Niedermayer skated for the second time as he continues to contemplate his future.
The 34-year-old star defenceman played a pickup game Thursday, the second time in a week he has skated. But he remains unsure whether he will return to the Anaheim Ducks.
"No decision has been made," Niedermayer told the Orange County Register in Friday's edition. "Really, there is no change in anything right now, other than the fact I'm skating. When the decision does come, if it is to go back and play, I'm a little bit closer."
Niedermayer told the newspaper he has gained some peace of mind since returning to Orange County in early September from his home in Cranbrook, B.C.
"I'm pretty comfortable with where I'm at now, personally," Niedermayer said. "It's not an easy year, obviously, coming back after three months off and trying to defend a Stanley Cup championship. There are a lot of things that are going to go into this final decision. I'm comfortable with knowing what those things are now.
"There's no big story behind any of it. It's just little things, just private things for me as a member of a family, last year as a member of a hockey team. It's that simple."
He is currently suspended by the Ducks, a technicality that was necessary for the Ducks to save on his US$6.75-million salary. He hopes to make up his mind once and for all by mid-December at the latest.