Sam Rothstein stands just 5-foot-8 and 164 pounds, but he Sioux Falls Stampede center stood tall last week, and because of that was named co-winner of the United States Hockey League's CCM Forward of the Week.
Rothstein had three goals, two assists and a plus-4 rating in two games as Sioux Falls extended its win streak to four games. He had the game-winning goal in a 4-2 win at the Indiana Ice on Friday, and had a pair of goals and two assists in a 6-5 overtime win Saturday against the Fargo Force.
James Roll of the Des Moines Buccaneers was named CCM Defenseman of the Week after scoring his first two goals of the season last week. The 6-1, 179-pound blueliner had his first USHL goal in a 6-2 win Friday against the Omaha Lancers. He followed that with a power-play goal in Saturday's 3-2 shootout win against the Muskegon Lumberjacks. He also played a major role in the Bucs' penalty-killing unit that went a perfect 7-for-7 in the two weekend games.
Roll's teammate, goalie Bill Christopoulos shared the Reebok Goaltender of the Week award with the Waterloo Black Hawks' Calvin Petersen.
Christopoulos made 47 saves for his first USHL win in the 3-2 shootout win against Muskegon on Saturday. It was the most saves by any USHL goaltender this season. He made 19 saves alone in the first period, and stopped two of three attempts in his first shootout.
Petersen, rated as a C-list goaltender in NHL Central Scouting's preliminary rankings of players to watch for the 2013 NHL Draft, made his first start of the season a memorable one, stopping all 25 shots he faced -- including 12 in the third period -- in a 2-0 win against Omaha on Friday, his first USHL shutout.
There were a few other quality performances by 2013 draft-eligible prospects last weekend:
* Tri-City Storm center Tim Lappin had a pair of goals in a 3-2 shootout loss at the Lincoln Stars on Friday.
* Waterloo center Justin Kloos had a goal and two assists, one of which set up the go-ahead goal, in a 4-1 win against the Green Bay Gamblers on Friday.
* Green Bay teammates Kevin Irwin and Alex Kile combined for six points in an 8-7 shootout win at the Cedar Rapids Rough Riders on Saturday. Irwin, a right wing, scored a pair of goals, while Kile, a left wing, had a goal and three assists.
* In the same game, Cedar Rapids' Dylan Steman and Riley Bourbonnais had three points each in the Rough Riders' victory. Steman, a center, had a goal and two assists, while Bourbonnais, a center, scored twice and added an assist.
* Chicago Steel left wing Alex Roos had two goals and two assists in a 9-5 win Saturday at Team USA.
Contact Adam Kimelman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter: @NHLAdamK