Prior to the telecast Sunday of the Vancouver Canucks and the Detroit Red Wings on CITY in Canada, the network will televise the "Rogers Hometown Hockey" broadcast at 1:30 p.m. ET. The show will also be carried on NHL Network in the U.S. This week?s location is Brandon, Manitoba, to celebrate the city's iconic hockey story.
Among the features airing on the pregame show:
* Former NHL player Brad McCrimmon was a guy's guy, a man's man. That's how Nicklas Lidstrom, Chris Pronger and Todd Bertuzzi describe him. McCrimmon mentored those three and helped guide them through some difficult times during their careers.
* With such a small percentage of hockey players making the NHL, Brandon has produced five starting goaltenders: five-time Stanley Cup Champion Turk Broda, two-time Stanley Cup winner Bill Ranford, 1992 Stanley Cup champion Ken Wregget, Conn Smythe trophy winner Ron Hextall, and 14-year NHL veteran Glen Hanlon.
* The life of a junior hockey player is a tough adjustment for any teenager, let alone one moving from Russia to Brandon. But a local couple has opened its home and eased the transition for NHL prospect Ivan Provorov.
* Seventeen-year-old Kristen Campbell dreams of being Canada's top goaltender. Born in Brandon, she is trying to make the Canada Under-18 team.
* Stephen Brunt sat down with Jordin Tootoo to discuss his time with the Wheat Kings and how the city of Brandon and Kelly McCrimmon helped after a family tragedy.