Center Mike Ribeiro is expected to re-sign with the Nashville Predators, TSN reported Tuesday.
General manager David Poile said the Predators gave Ribeiro a deadline of Tuesday to sign. He can become an unrestricted free agent Wednesday.
The 35-year-old center was second on the Predators with 62 points this season (rookie linemate Filip Forsberg had 63).
"We have offered Mike a contract," Poile told The Tennessean on Tuesday. "We've had some negotiations in the last couple of days but have not been able to come to an agreement. I really think it's going to happen or not happen [Tuesday]. I'm hopeful that it does. We want him back, but we'll have to see how negotiations go in that area."
The Predators signed Ribeiro to a one-year contract last summer after he had his contract bought out by the Arizona Coyotes.
Poile said the civil lawsuit Ribeiro is dealing with had no bearing on their negotiations.
"The civil case was filed in March. At that time, and now, we do not think it appropriate to comment since the case is in the legal process," Poile said in comments released by the Predators.
Ribeiro rejected a contract offer from Nashville last week, The Tennessean reported Friday.
"We're both flexible and open-minded to more than one year," Poile told the newspaper then. "The most important thing is, does he want to play in Nashville more than he wants to play anywhere else? I can only offer what I think is right and fair and what we have available. He has to make a decision whether this fits for he and his family, just like he did last year."
Poile said the Predators bought out the contracts of forwards Rich Clune and Viktor Stalberg and are looking to trade goaltender Magnus Hellberg.
Poile said negotiations are continuing with restricted freee agent forwards Craig Smith, Colin Wilson, Calle Jarnkrok, Taylor Beck and Gabriel Bourque.