Skip to main content

Repik's late goal gives Giants a 2-0 series lead over Chilliwack @NHLdotcom

VANCOUVER -Michal Repik's goal with 58.4 seconds left in the third period gave the Vancouver Giants a 3-2 victory over the Chilliwack Bruins in the second game of their WHL opening-round playoff series Saturday night.

The goal, Repik's second of the game and third of the playoffs, staked the Giants to a 2-0 series lead. Spencer Machacek also scored for the defending Memorial Cup-champions in the tight-checking, penalty-filled contest before a crowd of 7,729 at the Pacific Coliseum.

Repik took a long pass from Brent Regner at the Chilliwack blue line, raced in alone, and beat goaltender Mark Friesen with a wrist shot.

Oscar Moller and Mark Santorelli tallied for the Bruins, who had led 1-0 and then overcome a 2-1 disadvantage.

The Giants outshot Chilliwack 33-22. The Bruins went two-for-eight on the power play while Vancouver as one for seven.

After a scoreless first period, Moller gave Chilliwack a 1-0 lead 8:48 into the second as he one-timed a pass from Nick Holden during a power play. Vancouver's Craig Cunningham was serving a roughing penalty, taken after a whistle.

Machacek, who scored the decisive goal in Friday's series-opening win, created a 1-1 tie during a Vancouver power play about five minutes later. He took a pass from Repik at the top of the left face-off circle, skated between the hash marks, and blasted a slapshot past Chilliwack goaltender Friesen.

The goal came only 18 seconds after Chilliwack's David Robinson was sent off for tripping.

Repik put the Giants ahead 2-1 on a breakaway at 1:14 of the third period. But Santorelli drew the Bruins even at 2-2 on a power play about four minutes later, setting the stage for Repik's late heroics.

View More

The NHL uses cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. By using NHL websites or other online services, you consent to the practices described in our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy.