Skip to main content

Red Wings top Blues 4-3 in OT @NHLdotcom
Thanks to Darren Helm's speed, the Detroit Red Wings didn't have to go home disappointed.

The Wings blew a 3-0 lead in regulation before Helm, one of the fastest players in the NHL, took a pass from Jiri Hudler and scored 1:51 into overtime to give Detroit a 4-3 victory against the St. Louis Blues on Thursday night.

Helm scored his first game-winner of the season by racing up ice to create an odd-man break.

"Speed is the biggest part of my game, and I've got to utilize that every chance I get," Helm said. "I was able to get up ice as quick as I could and able to find a way to put it in."

Coach Mike Babcock says Helm excels in open ice -- something there's usually plenty of in overtime.

"If you go through all the 4-on-4 overtime wins that we have, he seems to be involved in all of them," Babcock said. "He's dangerous in situations like that, no question about it."

Helm's goal salvaged a win in a game the Red Wings appeared to be in complete command of after Patrick Eaves, Todd Bertuzzi and Jakub Kindl scored. Kindl's first NHL goal came at 9:50 of the second period and put the Wings up 3-0.

Kindl bounced a shot off defenseman Roman Polak and behind Jaroslav Halak.

"It feels good, I'm not going to lie," Kindl said. "It was a little lucky."

But T.J. Oshie cut it to 3-1 at 11:44, and Patrik Berglund scored at 6:35 of the third. Oshie returned to the lineup Tuesday night in a victory over Los Angeles after missing 31 games because of a broken ankle.

"Obviously, you want to get two points every night," Oshie said. "But we battled back. You have to learn from this and not put ourselves in a hole like this -- especially against a team like Detroit."

David Backes tied it with 5:46 left in regulation, beating Jimmy Howard from close range.

Eaves opened the scoring at 12:25 of the first period with his fourth goal in eight games. Bertuzzi and Kindl scored in a 2:16 span midway through the second period.

Babcock was pleased with the way his club rebounded after a wasting a three-goal lead on the road.

"We got back to playing the way we knew we could," he said. "We did a lot of really good things. This was a good win for us.

Howard, playing his first game since going down with a bruised knee last Friday, made several key saves late in regulation. He did not appear bothered by the injury, which was expected to sideline him for up to two weeks.

"I felt pretty good to be honest," Howard said. "It was one of those things where we didn't let up, I just think (St. Louis) woke up. They started getting pucks in deep."

Material from team media and wire services was used in this report

View More

The NHL uses cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. By using NHL websites or other online services, you consent to the practices described in our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy.