PREDATORS RALLY FOR (ANOTHER) OVERTIME WIN, FORCE GAME 7
The Nashville Predators trailed 2-0 and 3-2, but Colin Wilson tied the game with 7:16 remaining in the third period and Viktor Arvidsson scored at 2:03 of overtime to help the Predators force Game 7 of the Western Conference Second Round against the San Jose Sharks.
* The Predators overcame a multigoal deficit to win a Stanley Cup Playoff game for the second time (also Game 3 of 2008 CQF vs. DET: trailed 2-0, 5-3 W) and for the first time in an elimination game, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
* Wilson leads the Predators with 13 points in 13 playoff games. His five goals are one goal shy of matching his total from the 2015-16 regular-season (6-18-24 in 64 GP). He extended his Predators playoff record point streak to seven games (4-5-9), two games better than his longest such run in the regular season (Feb. 12-19, 2013: 2-5-7 in 5 GP).
* Arvidsson, who had one goal in his past 32 games dating to Feb. 27 (regular-season and playoffs), became the first player in franchise history to score his first career Stanley Cup Playoff goal in overtime.
Home Team in Caps
Dallas 3, ST. LOUIS 2 - series tied 3-3
NASHVILLE 4, San Jose 3 (OT) - series tied 3-3
RECORD NUMBER OF OVERTIME GAMES
Home teams improved to 7-8 in 15 overtime games during the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs (69 GP), with eight of those overtime games coming in the second round (22 GP).
* Via Elias, the eight overtime games in the second round equal the most in the second round since the 16-team postseason format was introduced in 1980 (also 1996 in 24 GP and 2001 in 25 GP).
* Elias also notes that for the first time since 1980, all four second-round series have featured at least two overtime games.
* Seven of this year's 15 overtime games have been decided in the opening five minutes of overtime.
Video: SJS@NSH, Gm6: Arvidsson's backhander wins it in OT
EARLY LEAD, LEHTONEN HELP STARS FORCE DECIDING GAME
The Dallas Stars raced to an early multigoal lead and Kari Lehtonen made 35 saves, including 13 in each of the final two periods and atrio of game-saving stops in the final minute of regulation, to help Dallas hold off a St. Louis Blues rally and force a seventh and deciding game.
* Via Elias, the Stars forced a Game 7 for the eighth time and achieved the feat on the road for the third time (also 1997 CQF at EDM and 1999 CF at COL).
* Jason Spezza, who reached the 30-goal milestone for the fifth time in 2015-16 (33 G), scored his fourth career playoff game-winning goal (68 GP). He ranks third in the League with 13 points this postseason (12 GP).
* Mattias Janmark and Vernon Fiddler scored 20 seconds apart to give the Stars an early 2-0 lead. Elias notes that they were the fastest two goals by the Stars in the playoffs since Game 1 of the 2000 Stanley Cup Final against the New Jersey Devils, when Jon Sim and Kirk Muller set the franchise record with two goals in 12 seconds. ICYMI: Fiddler scored in front of his parents while celebrating his 36th birthday.
Video: DAL@STL, Gm6: Fiddler nets goal on his 36th birthday
GAME 7: DID YOU KNOW?
* For the second time in four years, both Western Conference second-round series require a Game 7. In 2013 the Los Angeles Kings (4-3 W vs. SJS) and Chicago Blackhawks (4-3 W vs. DET) met in the Western Conference Final after each won a seventh and deciding game in the previous round.
* The Stars and Blues will contest a Game 7 for the fourth time in 13 postseason series between the franchises. The others, which all required overtime, came when the Stars were based in Minnesota, with the Blues winning twice (1968 SF and 1972 QF) and the North Stars once (1984 DF)
* Via Elias, the Blues, who won Game 7 against the Blackhawks in the first round, will play Game 7 in consecutive series within the same playoff year for the third time (also 1968 QF/SF and 1986 DF/CF).
* Elias adds that Blues forward Troy Brouwer will extend his NHL record by skating in a Game 7 for an eighth consecutive playoff series, dating to the 2011 conference quarterfinals with the Blackhawks.
* The Predators, who reached the second round by defeating the Anaheim Ducks in the first Game 7 in franchise history, are the first team since the 2004 Tampa Bay Lightning to have their first two Game 7s occur in consecutive playoff series.
MILESTONES & BENCHMARKS
* Brent Burns (9-15-24 in 34 GP) had two assists to move past Mike Rathje (9-14-23 in 71 GP) into sole possession of second place in Sharks playoff history for points by a defenseman, behind Dan Boyle (11-37-48 in 62 GP). He also tied Stars captain Jamie Benn (5-10-15) for the League lead with 15 points this postseason (4-11-15).
The Predators improved to 5-4 in nine playoff home games against the Sharks, compared to 0-7 on the road. … The home team has won all six games in the Sharks-Predators series, compared to a 29-34 clip in all other series. … The Stars defeated the Blues despite being outshot 37-14. Via Elias, the Stars won a playoff game in which they were outshot by at least 23 for the second time (also Game 4 of 2000 CF at COL: 39-15, 4-1 W). … Sharks forward Logan Couture scored to remain one point back of the League lead (6-8-14), including 5-3-8 in the second round. … Teammate Chris Tierney (2-0-2) had his first NHL multigoal game (regular-season and playoffs; 133 GP). … The Florida Panthers re-signed defenseman Erik Gudbranson to aone-year contract. … One day after hiring Guy Boucher as coach, the Ottawa Senators hired Marc Crawford as an associate coach. … NHL LiveWire: The Capitals were mic'd up in the locker room following their Game 5 win against the Pittsburgh Penguins at Verizon Center. … Country singer Dierks Bentley waved the rally towel prior to Game 6 in Nashville. … ICYMI: Scoreboard installation continued today at Rogers Place, the new home of the Oilers beginning next season.