NHL ANNOUNCES ALL-STAR GAME ROSTERS, COACHES
The NHL announced the full roster of players as well as the coaches for the 2017 Honda NHL All-Star Weekend, which will be held at Staples Center in Los Angeles on Jan. 28-29.
The League unveiled the list of 40 players who will join the four division captains elected by fans via the 2017 NHL All-Star Fan Vote: Carey Price of the Montreal Canadiens (Atlantic), P.K. Subban of the Nashville Predators (Central), Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins (Metropolitan) and Connor McDavid of the Edmonton Oilers (Pacific). Each team is comprised of six forwards, three defensemen and two goaltenders.
The NHL also announced that Michel Therrien of the Canadiens (Atlantic), Bruce Boudreau of the Minnesota Wild (Central), John Tortorella of the Columbus Blue Jackets (Metropolitan) and Peter DeBoer of the San Jose Sharks (Pacific) have clinched the top point percentages in their respective divisions through the midway point of the regular season (Tuesday, Jan. 10), and will serve as coaches.
Click here for complete rosters.
Home Team in Caps
BUFFALO 4, Philadelphia 1
CAROLINA 5, Columbus 3
Boston 5, ST. LOUIS 3
NASHVILLE 2, Vancouver 1 (OT)
CHICAGO 4, Detroit 3 (OT)
San Jose 5, EDMONTON 3
ANAHEIM 2, Dallas 0
LATE OVERTIME GOAL LIFTS PREDATORS OVER CANUCKS
The Vancouver Canucks tied the game with 48.6 seconds remaining in the third period, but Calle Jarnkrok scored a shorthanded goal with 1.5 seconds left in overtime as the Nashville Predators snapped a six-game home losing streak (0-3-3).
* Jarnkrok became the first Predators player to score a shorthanded goal in overtime, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
* Jarnkrok (4:58) also scored the latest overtime goal in Predators history, besting the mark of 4:44 by Andy Delmore against the St. Louis Blues on Jan. 7, 2003 and Marek Zidlicky against the Sharks on Jan. 31, 2004.
Video: Jarnkrok nets game-winner in OT as Preds beat Canucks
BLACKHAWKS MOVE WITHIN A POINT OF FIRST PLACE IN THE NHL
Duncan Keith (1-1-2) scored his second NHL regular-season overtime goal (also against the Calgary Flames on Dec. 19, 2008) to lead the Chicago Blackhawks to their fourth straight win.
* At 27-12-5 (59 points), the Western Conference-leading Blackhawks climbed within a point of the Blue Jackets (28-8-4, 60 points) for first place in the NHL.
* Keith added an assist and extended his point streak to five games (1-5-6). He leads Blackhawks defensemen with 2-29-31 this season (44 GP).
THREE-POINT OUTINGS POWER CLUBS TO VICTORY
Several teams secured victories via three-point performances:
* Mikkel Boedker (3-0-3) had the fourth hat trick of his NHL career to lead the Sharks to their fifth win in their past seven road games. Brent Burns (1-2-3) also had three points and leads NHL defensemen in goals and points with 16-26-42 this season (41 GP).
* Brad Marchand (2-1-3) and David Pastrnak (0-3-3) combined for 2-4-6 as the Bruins improved to 3-1-1 in their past five road games. Marchand has scored in three consecutive games (5-1-6) and leads the Bruins with 15-23-38 this season (44 GP).
* Jeff Skinner and Victor Rask each a goal and two assists as the Carolina Hurricanes defeated the NHL-leading Blue Jackets and improved to 12-1-1 in their past 14 home games. Skinner leads the Hurricanes with 15-17-32 this season (40 GP), while Rask ranks second with 12-19-31 (41 GP).
* Sam Reinhart (1-2-3) factored on three of four goals to help the Buffalo Sabres extend their point streak to four games (3-0-1). Reinhart is tied for the Sabres lead with 9-18-27 this season (40 GP).
John Gibson made 34 saves for his second shutout in his past four games (also against the Detroit Red Wings on Jan. 4) to backstop the Anaheim Ducks to their fourth win in their past five games. … Blue Jackets forward Cam Atkinson scored to reach the 20-goal mark for the fourth consecutive season. … Red Wings forward Andreas Athanasiou (1-0-1) has scored in three consecutive games (3-3-6). … The Blues aired a tribute video honoring Bruins forward David Backes, who played 10 seasons with St. Louis, including five as team captain. … Mitsubishi Electric Sales Canada Inc. (Mitsubishi Electric) signed a multi-year corporate marketing agreement to become the official heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC), and hand dryer partner of the NHL in Canada. … The NHL will celebrate the 100 Greatest NHL Players with "THE NHL100," a star-studded primetime television special hosted by Emmy Award-winning actor Jon Hamm.
Video: Gibson, Ducks blank Stars, 2-0
SNEAK PEEK AT WEDNESDAY'S ACTION
All Times Eastern
Florida @ NY Islanders, 7 p.m., MSG+, FS-F, NHL.TV
Montreal @ Winnipeg, 7:30 p.m., SN, RDS, NHL.TV
Pittsburgh @ Washington, 8 p.m., TVA Sports, NBCSN, NHL.TV
San Jose @ Calgary, 9:30 p.m., SN, SN1, CSN-CA, NHL.TV
PENGUINS, CAPITALS CLASH ON RIVALRY NIGHT
NBCSN's Wednesday Night Rivalry features a Metropolitan Division matchup between the Penguins (26-8-5, 57 points) and Washington Capitals (26-9-5, 57 points) at Verizon Center in Washington. Penguins captain Sidney Crosby leads the NHL with 26 goals, while Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin (544-455-999) is one point shy of becoming the first player in franchise history to reach the 1,000-point milestone.