PENGUINS, SENATORS BATTLE FOR BERTH IN STANLEY CUP FINAL
A spot in the Stanley Cup Final is on the line when the Pittsburgh Penguins and Ottawa Senators face off in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Final in Pittsburgh.
* The Penguins, who defeated the Washington Capitals 2-0 in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Second Round, will be playing their 17th all-time Game 7 (9-7), fifth-most in the NHL behind the Boston Bruins (25), Detroit Red Wings (25), Montreal Canadiens (23) and Toronto Maple Leafs (22). The Penguins are 3-7 in Game 7s at home, including a 2-1 victory against the Tampa Bay Lightning in the 2016 Eastern Conference Final.
* The Senators will be seeking their first Game 7 win (0-5). Four of their five Game 7 losses have come on the road, including a 2-1 defeat in their most recent Game 7, against the New York Rangers in the 2012 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals.
* The Penguins will be skating in their third Game 7 in the conference finals. In addition to 2016 against the Lightning, they lost 3-1 to the Florida Panthers in 1996.
* The Senators will be contesting their second Game 7 in the conference finals. They lost 3-2 to the New Jersey Devils, the eventual Stanley Cup champions, in 2003.
* Pittsburgh's lineup has a combined 80 Game 7 appearances, including 58 wins. Thirteen of those are from Carl Hagelin (7-1) and Matt Cullen (6-0).
* Ottawa's lineup has a combined 34 Game 7 appearances, including 14 victories. Eight of those are from Derick Brassard (4-1) and Chris Kelly (4-1).
* Penguins coach Mike Sullivan is 2-1 in three all-time Game 7s, including a 2-0 record with the Penguins. Senators coach Guy Boucher is 1-1 in two all-time Game 7s, both with the Lightning, including a 1-0 victory at the Penguins in the 2011 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals.
* REMINDER: The Stanley Cup Final will begin Monday, May 29. Either Pittsburgh or Ottawa will host Games 1 and 2 (as well as Games 5 and 7, if necessary). Nashville will host Games 3 and 4 (as well as Game 6, if necessary). Click here for the complete schedule.
Video: Eastern Conference Final Game 7 - OTT vs. PIT
SNEAK PEEK AT THURSDAY'S ACTION
All Times Eastern
Ottawa @ Pittsburgh, series tied 3-3, 8 p.m. ET, NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports
GAME 7 TRENDS
* The team that scores first is 125-43 (.744) in the 168 all-time Game 7s in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, including a 1-1 record this year.
* Home teams own a 98-70 (.583) advantage in the 168 all-time Game 7s in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, including a 1-1 record this year.
* Forty Game 7s in the Stanley Cup Playoffs have required overtime (23.8 percent). Home and road teams both are 20-20.
DID YOU KNOW?
Game 7 remains the most frequently occurring series length since the start of the 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs (134 total series):
7 games: 46 times (34.3 percent)
6 games: 45 times (33.6 percent)
5 games: 27 times (20.2 percent)
4 games: 16 times (11.9 percent)
GREATEST NHL TEAMS FAN VOTE CLOSES AT MIDNIGHT
The final round of voting for the Greatest NHL Teams, featuring 20 remaining clubs, closes tonight at midnight ET. An interactive digital and mobile program voted on by fans, the Greatest NHL Teams originally included all of the League's 96 Stanley Cup winners since the NHL's inaugural season in 1917-18.
The Top 10 teams will be announced during the Stanley Cup Final, with the Greatest NHL Team revealed during Game 4 of the series.
Visit NHL.com/GreatestTeams to cast your vote before the final round closes.