CROSBY SCORES EARLY OVERTIME-WINNER TO HELP PENGUINS EVEN SERIES
Sidney Crosby scored 40 seconds into overtime to help the Pittsburgh Penguins win Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Final 3-2, evening their best-of-7 series against the Tampa Bay Lightning at 1-1.
* Crosby, who snapped an eight-game goal drought, scored his seventh Stanley Cup Playoffs game-winning goal and first in overtime. With 47 career playoff goals, Crosby passed Kevin Stevens (46) for third for the Penguins.
* Crosby scored the fastest overtime goal in Penguins playoff history, seven seconds earlier than George Ferguson (0:47) in Game 3 of the 1979 Preliminary Round against the Buffalo Sabres, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
* The Penguins improved to 3-1 in overtime during the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Per Elias, Pittsburgh tied a franchise record with three overtime wins in a playoff year, also achieved in 2001 and 2009.
Video: TBL@PIT, Gm2: Crosby goes top-shelf to win it in OT
Home Team in Caps
PITTSBURGH 3, Tampa Bay 2 (OT) - series tied 1-1
* The Penguins snapped the Lightning's win streak at five games.
* Pittsburgh halted Tampa Bay's road overtime playoff win streak at six games. It was Tampa Bay's first such loss since a 5-4 overtime loss at the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 6 of the 2004 Eastern Conference Final.
* The Penguins won their first game against the Lightning since Jan. 2, 2015 (regular-season and playoffs), snapping a four-game skid (0-3-1).
* Pittsburgh won its first playoff game against Tampa Bay since Game 4 of the 2011 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals (3-2 2OT W), also halting a four-game slide.
Video: TBL@PIT, Gm2: Kessel wrists it past Vasilevskiy
MILESTONES & BENCHMARKS
* Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman had his 28th career playoff assist, all with the Lightning, to tie Vincent Lecavalier for third on the franchise's all-time list.
Penguins goaltender Matt Murray made 19 saves and improved to 8-3 with a 2.14 goals-against average, .928 save percentage and one shutout in the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs. … Lightning goaltender Andrei Vasilevskiy stopped 38 shots in his first start of the 2016 postseason, including a highlight-reel glove save on Crosby in the second period. … Lightning defenseman Anton Stralman scored in his return to the lineup following a 19-game absence. He has scored five times in four games against the Penguins in 2015-16 (regular-season and playoffs), including at least one goal in every game (5-0-5). … The Florida Panthers promoted executive vice president and general manager Dale Tallon to president of hockey operations and associate general manager Tom Rowe to general manager. Eric Joyce and Steve Werier were named assistant general managers. … The battle between St. Louis Blues forward Vladimir Tarasenko and San Jose Sharks forward Joe Pavelski heated up as St. Louis and San Jose made their final pushes ahead of the EA SPORTS NHL 17 Cover Vote deadline. … The Blues invited hockey fan Wyatt Nelson to attend a game in St. Louis along with his father Gerry, who lost his vision in 1988. … NHL LiveWire: Players were mic'd up for Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finalbetween the Penguins and Lightning and Game 1 of the Western Conference Final between the Blues and Sharks.