LAINE'S FIRST CAREER HAT TRICK LEADS JETS TO COMEBACK WIN…
The Winnipeg Jets rallied from a 4-0 deficit in the second period led by Patrik Laine's first career NHL hat trick, including the game-tying goal with 55 seconds remaining in the third period and the game-winning goal in overtime, to defeat the Toronto Maple Leafs 5-4 in their final game before the 2016 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic.
* The Jets came back from a four-goal deficit to win for the first time in Jets/Thrashers franchise history, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Winnipeg also rallied from a three-goal deficit in its season-opening game for a 5-4 overtime win against the Carolina Hurricanes. Elias adds the Jets are the first team in NHL history to come back from a deficit of at least three goals to win in two of their first four games of a season.
* Per Elias, at 18 years, 183 days, Laine became the youngest player in franchise history to earn a hat trick (previously Ilya Kovalchuk: 19 years, 235 days, on Dec. 6, 2002 at WSH).
* Elias adds Laine is also the fourth rookie in the past 10 years to earn a hat trick that includes an overtime winner, following Alex Ovechkin (3-0-3 w/ WSH on Jan. 13, 2006 at ANA), Jordan Staal (3-0-3 w/ PIT on Feb. 10, 2007 at TOR) and Michael Grabner (3-0-3 w/ NYI on Feb. 13, 2011 at BUF).
* Per Elias, Laine is the first player in franchise history to score a tying goal in the final minute of the third period AND the overtime winner in the same game.
MUST SEE: Right after Maple Leafs forward and No. 1 selection in the 2016 NHL Draft Auston Matthews (0-1-1) was stopped on a breakaway in overtime, Laine (No. 2 2016) rushed the puck the other way to score the winning goal and complete the hat trick.
Video: TOR@WPG: Laine erupts for first NHL hat trick
Home Team in Caps
WINNIPEG 5, Toronto 4 (OT)
Detroit 2, NY RANGERS 1
…FOCUS SHIFTS TO 2016 TIM HORTONS NHL HERITAGE CLASSIC
The Jets now focus their attention on the 2016 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic, where they will play the Edmonton Oilers in an outdoor game at Investors Group Field in Winnipeg on Sunday (3 p.m. ET; NHLN, SN, TVA Sports 2, NHL.TV).
* Click here for an update on preparations for the event including a time lapse of the rink build.
Jets forward Mark Scheifele (1-2-3) and defenseman Dustin Byfuglien (0-2-2) also had multi-point games in the comeback win… Detroit Red Wings forward Thomas Vanek (1-0-1) has three goals and six points in his first four games... New York Rangers forward Mika Zibanejad (1-0-1) has two goals and five points in his first four games... New York Mets pitcher Noah Syndergaard took in the Rangers-Red Wings game… The Jets inducted the "Hot Line" of Anders Hedberg, Bobby Hull and Ulf Nilsson -- who were part of two championship teams with the Jets in the World Hockey Association -- as the first three members of the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame…Hockey legend Wayne Gretzky will be at the NHL Powered by Reebok Store in New York for a book signing Thursday.
SNEAK PEEK AT THURSDAY'S ACTION
All Times Eastern
New Jersey @ Boston, 7 p.m.; NESN, MSG+
Anaheim @ Philadelphia, 7 p.m.; CSN-PH, PRIME
San Jose @ Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.; ROOT, CSN-CA
Arizona @ Montreal, 7:30 p.m.; SN360, RDS, FS-A
Colorado @ Tampa Bay, 7:30 p.m.; SUN, ALT
Washington @ Florida, 7:30 p.m.; FS-F, CSN-DC
Toronto @ Minnesota, 8 p.m.; FS-N, FS-WI, TSN4
Los Angeles @ Dallas, 8:30 p.m.; FS-SW, FS-W
Carolina @ Calgary, 9 p.m.; SNF, FS-CR
St. Louis @ Edmonton, 9 p.m.; SNOL, FS-MW
Buffalo @ Vancouver, 10 p.m.; SN360, MSG-B
NBC Sports Channel Finder
Sportsnet Channel Finder
NHLN Channel Finder