HORNQVIST PLAYS OT HERO AS PENGUINS TAKE 3-1 SERIES LEAD
Patric Hornqvist scored at 2:34 of overtime to propel the Pittsburgh Penguins to a 3-2 victory against the Washington Capitals on Wednesday at Consol Energy Center to take a 3-1 lead in their Eastern Conference Second Round series. Pittsburgh ended a streak of eight consecutive overtime losses in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
* The Penguins improved to 8-3 in 11 all-time overtime playoff games against the Capitals, including a 6-2 record at home.
* It was the Penguins' first home overtime victory at home in the postseason since Game 3 of the 2009 Eastern Conference Semifinals, a 3-2 win against Washington. In that game, Kris Letang scored at 11:23 of overtime for Pittsburgh, which won the series in seven games.
* The first four games of the Capitals-Penguins series have ended in one-goal margins, two requiring overtime. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the Capitals and Penguins have been tied or within one goal for 79.6% of total playing time (200:40 of 252:07).
* Hornqvist scored his first career playoff overtime and game-winning goal. He has one overtime goal in 509 career regular-season games (March 7, 2015 at the Los Angeles Kings).
Video: Hornqvist wins Game 4 for Pens in OT
* Matt Murray , who made 34 saves, improved to 6-1 in the playoffs with a 1.81 goals-against average, .944 save percentage and one shutout since taking over in goal for the Penguins in Game 3 of the First Round at the New York Rangers.
* According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Murray's six victories in the 2016 playoffs are the most by a rookie goaltender in Penguins history within a single playoff year. He passed Gary Inness, who had five such wins during the 1975 postseason.
* Penguins captain Sidney Crosby , who recorded his first point of the series, had his 81st career playoff assist to move within one of tying Jaromir Jagr (82) for second on the franchise's all-time list.
3-1 SERIES HISTORY
* According to the Elias Sports Bureau, teams that take a 3-1 lead in a best-of-seven Stanley Cup Playoffs series go on to win 90.3 percent of the time (261-28).
* The Penguins hold an all-time series record of 10-3 when taking a 3-1 lead in a best-of-seven series.
* The Capitals have come back from 3-1 deficits in a best-of-seven series twice in eight all-time scenarios (1988 DSF vs. the Philadelphia Flyers and 2009 CQF vs. the Rangers).
OVECHKIN, TAVARES, WEBER FINALISTS FOR MARK MESSIER NHL LEADERSHIP AWARD
The NHL announced forward Alex Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals, forward John Tavares of the New York Islanders and defenseman Shea Weber of the Nashville Predators are the three finalists for the 2015-16 Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award, presented "to the player who exemplifies great leadership qualities to his team, on and off the ice, during the regular season."
The NHL will reveal the three finalists for the Jack Adams Award prior to tonight's games.
Capitals defenseman John Carlson has four goals and six assists in the 2016 playoffs, and moved within two points of the franchise record for most in a playoff year by a defenseman, established by Kevin Hatcher (5-7-12) and Scott Stevens (1-11-12) in 1988, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. … A film based on the life of Manon Rheaume titled "Between the Pipes" is scheduled to be released in 2017.
THURSDAY, MAY 5
Dallas at St. Louis, 8 p.m. ET; NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports (STL leads 2-1)
San Jose at Nashville, 9 p.m. ET; CNBC, SN, TVA Sports 2 (SJS leads 2-1)