Skip to main content

OHL Roundup: A look at Sunday's games in the Ontario Hockey League @NHLdotcom

J.T. Miller scored twice and had two assists and Alex Aleardi added a pair of goals and an assist as the Plymouth Whalers scored five times in the third period to beat the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors 8-4 in Ontario Hockey League play at the Hershey Centre on Sunday.

Beau Schmitz added a goal and two assists while Jamie Devane and Andy Bathgate both contributed a goal and an assist for the Whalers (6-5-2). Michael Whaley had the other goal and Scott Wedgewood made 24 saves in goal for the Whalers, who were outshot 28-24.

Trevor Carrick, with his first goal of the season, Sergey Kuptsov, Scott Teskey and Brett Foy replied for the Majors (9-3-1), with JP Anderson making 16 saves in goal.

Elsewhere in the OHL, it was: Brampton 4, Peterborough 0; Sault Ste. Marie 4, Guelph 3; Ottawa 6, Kitchener 3; Sudbury 2, Owen Sound 1; and London 6, Windsor 3.

Later, Saginaw was taking on Oshawa.

At Mississauga, the game was tied 3-3 after two periods but Plymouth completely dominated the final 20 minutes, scoring five times on 12 shots handing the Majors their third regulation loss of the season.

"I thought we got discouraged in the third period when they came on and (we) stopped competing the way we need to," Mississauga general manager and coach James Boyd said. "I don't like the way we reacted to the adversity we faced, but there's no doubt Plymouth is a very good team.

"They have huge forwards, they are a big team and they will be heard from. I did think we did a good job competing with them for the first two periods, but we just couldn't keep up in the third."

The Majors also suffered a huge loss when Stuart Percy left the game with a lower body injury after being ridden into the boards by Mitchell Heard early in the second period. Percy did not return.

"That was a really big blow for us," said Boyd. "It doesn't look very promising right now and he'll get checked out Monday."

Plymouth opened the scoring on a goal by Miller just 3:32 into the game, but the Majors answered back on goals from Teskey and Foy to take a 2-1 lead after the opening period.

Schmitz tied the game on a power play midway through the second but Kuptsov again put the Majors in front with his seventh goal of the season just 51 seconds later. Devane's goal at 15:38 of the second period, however, made the score 3-3 after 40 minutes of play.

Plymouth then scored five third-period goals to break the game open in the final period, with one of them into an empty net and another on a breakaway with just seven seconds left in the game.

Mississauga was 1-for-2 on the power play while the Whalers were 1-for-4.


Battalion (7-3-2) 4, Petes (6-5-2) 0

At Peterborough, Ont., Brandon Robinson scored his first career OHL goal and Matej Machovsky stopped all 27 shots he faced as the Brampton Battalion blanked the Petes.


Greyhounds (9-4-0) 4, Storm (5-4-2) 3

At Guelph, Ont., Nick Cousins led the way with two goals and an assist as the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds beat the Storm.


67's (8-3-1) 6, Rangers (6-5-0) 3

At Kitchener, Ont., Sean Monahan had two goals and two assists, and Petr Mrazek made 47 saves to lead the Ottawa 67???s over the Rangers.


Wolves (5-5-1) 2, Attack (6-8-1) 1 (SO)

At Owen Sound, Ont., Michael Sgarbossa scored in both regulation and in the shootout to lift the Sudbury Wolves over the Attack.


Knights (11-2-0) 6, Spitfires (8-5-2) 3

At Windsor, Ont., Vladislav Namestnikov scored two goals and added an assist and Michael Houser made 27 saves as the London Knights doubled up the Spitfires

View More

The NHL uses cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. By using NHL websites or other online services, you consent to the practices described in our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy.