LIGHTNING ELIMINATE ISLANDERS, RETURN TO EASTERN CONFERENCE FINAL
Victor Hedman (2-0-2) got his first career multigoal game in the postseason, and Ben Bishop made saves on all 28 shots he faced to help the Tampa Bay Lightning Lightning win their series with the New York Islanders in five games and reach the Eastern Conference Final for the second consecutive season.
* The Lightning have reached the Eastern Conference Final three of the past six years and four times overall (also 2015, 2011 and 2004). Tampa Bay went on to the Stanley Cup Final in two of those series (2015 and 2004), winning its only Stanley Cup in 2004.
* According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Hedman is the third defenseman in Lightning history to score twice in a playoff game and the first to do so in a series-clinching victory. He is also the first defenseman on any team to score twice in a series-clinching win since Nicklas Lidstrom (DET) in Game 7 of the 2010 Western Conference Quarterfinals at the Arizona Coyotes.
* Hedman had eight points in five games in the second round vs. NYI (4-4-8). Per Elias, Hedman's four goals and eight points were the most in Lightning history by a defenseman in one playoff series.
* The Lightning will face the winner of the Washington Capitals-Pittsburgh Penguins series (PIT leads 3-2). Tampa Bay has faced Washington twice in the postseason (2003 CQF: 4-2 W and 2011 CSF: 4-0 W) and Pittsburgh once (2011 CQF: 4-3 W).
Video: NYI@TBL, Gm5: Lightning advance to ECF with 4-0 win
Home Team in Caps
TAMPA BAY 4, NY Islanders 0 - TBL wins 4-1
ANOTHER SERIES-CLINCHING SHUTOUT FOR BISHOP
Lightning goaltender Ben Bishop (28 SV) earned his fourth straight win and is 8-2 in the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs (1.89 GAA, .938 SV%, 2 SO).
* Bishop got his fifth career NHL playoff shutout and fourth in a series-clinching win (also Game 5 of 2016 first round vs. the Detroit Red Wings, Game 7 of 2015 first round at DET and Game 7 of 2015 conference final at New York Rangers). Per Elias, he moved into a tie with Jacques Plante and Martin Brodeur for the second-most series-clinching shutouts in NHL history:
Most series-clinching shutouts, NHL history
5 - Chris Osgood
4 - Jacques Plante
4 - Martin Brodeur
4 - Ben Bishop
MILESTONES & BENCHMARKS
* Bishop earned his 21st career playoff win to tie Nikolai Khabibulin for the most in Lightning history. His fifth career postseason shutout also tied Khabibulin for the most in their history.
Lightning forward Nikita Kucherov (1-0-1) has scored in three straight games and leads the NHL with nine goals in the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs (9-3-12) . . . The Ottawa Senators named Guy Boucher coach Sunday . . . Coyotes captain Shane Doan served as a guest analyst on NHL Network on Friday and Sunday and shared his perspective on new general manager John Chayka . . . Several NHL players took to social media to celebrate Mother's Day . . . ICYMI: Gert Friedman, who will turn 101 years old Tuesday, celebrated early by attending Game 5 of the Capitals-Penguins series at Verizon Center on Saturday.
SNEAK PEEK AT GAMES MONDAY
All Times Eastern
Dallas Stars @ St. Louis Blues, 8 p.m., STL leads 3-2, NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports
San Jose Sharks @ Nashville Predators, 9 p.m., SJS leads 3-2, CNBC, SN, TVA Sports 2