The Frank J. Selke Trophy is an annual award given to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game. The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association at the end of the regular season.
The trophy was first awarded at the end of the 1977-78 NHL season. It was named after Frank J. Selke, former general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens.
The Selke Trophy was the fifth and last of the major NHL awards to be introduced that have been named after general managers and owners of the Original Six teams, the other awards being the Art Ross Trophy, James Norris Trophy, Conn Smythe Trophy and Jack Adams Award.
The first recipient was Bob Gainey of the Canadiens, who won the trophy in the first four years it was given, and to date he has won it more times than any other player. Players from the Montreal Canadiens have won the trophy the most times, a total of seven times, though these seven trophies were amassed by only two players.
Gainey has won the most, winning it four times while Guy Carbonneau and Jere Lehtinen have each won it three times. During the late 1990's, Lehtinen and Carbonneau both played on the Dallas Stars, under then-GM Gainey.
The team with the most different winners is the Detroit Red Wings, as Sergei Fedorov (twice), Steve Yzerman, Kris Draper, and Pavel Datsyuk have combined for five Selkes, all since 1994.
[RELATED: Complete list of NHL Awards and Trophies winners]
Frank J. Selke Trophy Winners
- 2017: Patrice Bergeron , Boston Bruins
- 2016: Anze Kopitar, Los Angeles Kings
- 2015: Patrice Bergeron, Boston Bruins
- 2014: Patrice Bergeron, Boston Bruins
- 2013: Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks
- 2012: Patrice Bergeron, Boston Bruins
- 2011: Ryan Kesler, Vancouver Canucks
- 2010: Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings
- 2009: Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings
- 2008: Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings
- 2007: Rod Brind'Amour, Carolina Hurricanes
- 2006: Rod Brind'Amour, Carolina Hurricanes
- 2004: Kris Draper, Detroit Red Wings
- 2003: Jere Lehtinen, Dallas Stars
- 2002: Michael Peca, New York Islanders
- 2001: John Madden, New Jersey Devils
- 2000: Steve Yzerman, Detroit Red Wings
- 1999: Jere Lehtinen, Dallas Stars
- 1998: Jere Lehtinen, Dallas Stars
- 1997: Michael Peca, Buffalo Sabres
- 1996: Sergei Fedorov, Detroit Red Wings
- 1995: Ron Francis, Pittsburgh Penguins
- 1994: Sergei Fedorov, Detroit Red Wings
- 1993: Doug Gilmour, Toronto Maple Leafs
- 1992: Guy Carbonneau, Montreal Canadiens
- 1991: Dirk Graham, Chicago Blackhawks
- 1990: Rick Meagher, St. Louis Blues
- 1989: Guy Carbonneau, Montreal Canadiens
- 1988: Guy Carbonneau, Montreal Canadiens
- 1987: Dave Poulin, Philadelphia Flyers
- 1986: Troy Murray, Chicago Blackhawks
- 1985: Craig Ramsay, Buffalo Sabres
- 1984: Doug Jarvis, Washington Capitals
- 1983: Bobby Clarke, Philadelphia Flyers
- 1982: Steve Kasper, Boston Bruins
- 1981: Bob Gainey, Montreal Canadiens
- 1980: Bob Gainey, Montreal Canadiens
- 1979: Bob Gainey, Montreal Canadiens
- 1978: Bob Gainey, Montreal Canadiens