MAPLE LEAFS EVEN SERIES IN DOUBLE-OVERTIME THRILLER
Kasperi Kapanen scored his second goal of the game at 11:53 of double-overtime as the Toronto Maple Leafs won 4-3 evened their Eastern Conference First Round series with the Washington Capitals 1-1.
* Kapanen became the first Maple Leafs player to score an overtime goal in the postseason since Travis Green scored in double-overtime of a 2-1 win in Game 6 of the 2003 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against the Philadelphia Flyers.
* Kapanen became the eighth Maple Leafs rookie to score an overtime goal in the postseason and first since Gerry Ehman in Game 3 of the 1959 NHL Semifinals against the Boston Bruins, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
* Elias adds that Kapanen (20 years, 266 days) became the second-youngest Maple Leafs player to score an overtime goal in the postseason, after Jack McLean (20 years, 51 days) in quadruple-overtime of Game 2 in the 1943 NHL Semifinals at the Detroit Red Wings.
* Frederik Andersen made 47 saves, including two on Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin late in the first overtime, to record the victory. His 47 saves were six shy of his NHL career high, set in Game 2 of the 2015 Western Conference Finals against the Chicago Blackhawks while playing for the Anaheim Ducks, and the most by a Maple Leafs goaltender in a playoff game since Ed Belfour had 72 in Game 3 of the 2003 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against the Flyers.
Video: TOR@WSH, Gm2: Andersen robs Ovechkin twice in OT
* Defenseman Jake Gardiner logged 40:34, the most time on ice in a game by any player so far this postseason. Per Elias, he is the first Maple Leafs player to play 40 or more minutes in a playoff game since Game 3 of the 2003 Conference Quarterfinals, when four defensemen did so in a 3-2 loss to the Flyers.
Home Team in Caps
OTTAWA 4, Boston 3 (OT) - series tied 1-1
Toronto 4, WASHINGTON 3 (2OT) - series tied 1-1
Nashville 5, CHICAGO 0 - NSH leads 2-0
ANAHEIM 3, Calgary 2 - ANA leads 2-0
DID YOU KNOW?
Kasperi Kapanen scored the second and third goals of his NHL career (regular-season and playoffs); his first came April 8 when he notched the first of three unanswered goals to help the Maple Leafs clinch a berth in the 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs in a 5-3 win against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
* No stranger to big goals, Kapanen also scored the gold medal-clinching goal in overtime to lead Finland against Russia at the 2016 IIHF World Junior Championship in Helsinki.
Video: Sens and Leafs Win in OT, Preds Shut Out Hawks
SENATORS RALLY TO EVEN SERIES AGAINST BRUINS
The Ottawa Senators overcame a 3-1 deficit in the third period and Dion Phaneuf (1-2-3) scored at 1:59 of overtime as the Senators evened their series with the Bruins.
Video: BOS@OTT, Gm2: Phaneuf drills home the OT winner
* Elias notes that the Senators overcame a multigoal deficit in the third period to win a playoff game for the second time. They also did it in a 3-2 overtime win against the Montreal Canadiens in Game 4 of 2013 Eastern Conference quarterfinals.
* Phaneuf became the fifth Senators defenseman to score an overtime goal in the postseason and first since Matt Carkner in Game 5 of the 2010 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals at the Penguins.
* Phaneuf assisted on both third period goals to match a franchise record for points in a playoff game by a defenseman; Wade Redden achieved the feat in Game 3 of the 2006 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals at the Tampa Bay Lightning when he had a goal and two assists, and Game 1 of the 2006 Eastern Conference Semifinals against the Buffalo Sabres, when he had three assists.
PREDATORS LEAVE CHICAGO WITH PAIR OF SHUTOUT WINS
Pekka Rinne turned aside all 30 shots he faced and had two assists to help the Nashville Predators blank the Chicago Blackhawks for the second straight game and leave Chicago with a 2-0 series lead. The Predators had consecutive shutouts in the postseason for the first time.
* Elias notes that Nashville became the fifth NHL team with road shutouts in their first two games of a postseason, joining the Red Wings (1936), Sabres (1983), New Jersey Devils (1995) and Maple Leafs (2001).
Video: NSH@CHI, Gm2: Rinne stones Schmaltz, Kruger in front
* Nashville became the third NHL team with shutouts in consecutive playoff games in Chicago, joining the Canadiens in Games 3-4 of 1960 NHL Semifinals, and the St. Louis Blues in Games 3-4 of 2002 Western Conference Quarterfinals.
* Rinne became the first Predators goaltender with two assists in a playoff game and the first on any team to do so since Jose Theodore of the Canadiens in Game 3 of the 2004 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against the Bruins. Rinne became the first netminder to accomplish the feat in a playoff shutout since Tom Barrasso of the Penguins in Game 2 of the 1993 Patrick Division Semifinals against the Devils.
* Ryan Johansen (1-2-3) had his first three-point game in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, one shy of the Predators record for points in a playoff game set by Paul Kariya in Game 1 of the 2006 Western Conference Quarterfinals against the San Jose Sharks, when he had four assists.
GETZLAF GUIDES DUCKS TO 2-0 SERIES LEAD
The Anaheim Ducks surrendered a 2-0 lead, but Ryan Getzlaf (1-1-2) scored the tiebreaking goal with 4:46 remaining in the third period to guide the Ducks to a 2-0 series lead.
* Getzlaf has a goal and an assist in both games of the series and extended his Ducks records for playoff assists and points (31-72-103 in 106 GP). He had his sixth NHL game-winning goal in the postseason; only Teemu Selanne has scored more in Ducks history (eight).
Video: CGY@ANA, Gm2: Getzlaf nets go-ahead PPG off Bouma
* The Ducks won their 29th consecutive home game against the Flames, including 22 in the regular season, dating to Game 3 of the 2006 Western Conference Quarterfinals. The victory extends the longest such streak against a single opponent in NHL history.
Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin scored his 14th NHL power-play goal in the postseason to pass Peter Bondra (13) for the most in Capitals history. … Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby made 47 saves, tying his NHL career high from Game 3 of the 2012 Eastern Conference Semifinals against the New York Rangers. … Senators forward Clarke MacArthur scored his first goal since Game 3 of the 2015 Eastern Conference First Round against the Canadiens (regular-season and playoffs). … Columbus Blue Jackets forward Matt Calvert was suspended for one game for cross-checking Penguins forward Tom Kuhnhackl. … Kraft Hockeyville USA announced four semifinalists.
SNEAK PEEK AT SUNDAY'S ACTION
All Times Eastern
Minnesota @ St. Louis, STL leads 2-0, 3 p.m. ET, SN, TVA Sports, NBC
Pittsburgh @ Columbus, PIT leads 2-0, 6 p.m. ET, SN360, TVA Sports 2, CNBC, FS-O, ROOT
Montreal @ NY Rangers, series tied 1-1, 7 p.m. ET, SN, TVA Sports, NBCSN, MSG
Edmonton @ San Jose, series tied 1-1, 10 p.m. ET, SN, TVA Sports, NBCSN, NBCS CA