LIGHTNING RALLY FOR (ANOTHER) COMEBACK OT VICTORY
Nikita Kucherov notched the tying goal in the third period for the second straight game and Jason Garrison scored at 1:34 of overtime to rally the Tampa Bay Lightning to a 3-1 lead against the New York Islanders in the Eastern Conference Second Round.
* The Lightning, who scored three tying goals en route to their Game 3 victory, overcame a deficit of at least one goal to win consecutive playoff games for the fourth time ever, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. The only other instance when both such victories came on the road was in the 2004 conference semifinals, when Tampa Bay rallied to win Games 3 and 4 at the Montreal Canadiens.
* The Lightning improved to 13-7 in 20 overtime games in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, including a 2-0 mark this postseason and 10-3 record on the road. Via Elias, their .769 winning percentage in such games on the road is the highest in NHL history (minimum: 2 GP).
* Kucherov, who has scored in six of nine games this postseason, leads the NHL with eight goals during the 2016 playoffs. His 19 career postseason goals are third-most by a Lightning player:
Video: TBL@NYI, Gm4: Kucherov scores off Johnson's feed
Most Career Playoff Goals, Lightning History
33 - Martin St. Louis (63 GP)
24 - Vincent Lecavalier (63 GP)
19 - Nikita Kucherov (37 GP)
18 - Brad Richards (45 GP) and Tyler Johnson (39 GP)
* Garrison scored his second playoff game-winning goal and first in overtime (40 GP). He has two overtime goals in 460 career regular-season games, including one in the first 3-on-3 NHL overtime game (Oct. 8 vs. PHI).
Home Team in Caps
Tampa Bay 2, NY ISLANDERS 1 (OT) - TBL leads 3-1
Video: TBL@NYI, Gm4: Garrison's overtime-winning slap shot
OVERTIME TREND CONTINUES
The Lightning and Islanders played past regulation for the second straight game, marking the fourth consecutive overtime game in the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs and fifth in the past four days.
* All four Game 4s in the second round went past regulation, with seven of 16 games this round extending to at least one overtime.
* Overall, 14 of the 63 games played during the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs have required overtime, with road teams holding an 8-6 advantage.
* The Lightning's victory marked the shortest overtime game this postseason (1:34). Six of this year's 14 overtime games have been decided in the opening five minutes of overtime.
* The Islanders fell to 3-2 in overtime games this postseason. Four of their first five playoff games at Barclays Center have gone past regulation (2-2).
3-1 SERIES HISTORY
Per Elias, teams that take a 3-1 lead in a best-of-7 Stanley Cup Playoff series are 261-28 (90.3 percent).
* The Lightning have won their three previous series in which they have led 3-1, including their only other playoff series against the Islanders (2004 CQF: 4-1 W). The others: the 2015 Second Round vs. MTL (4-2 W) and 2016 First Round vs. DET (4-1 W)
* The Islanders have come back from trailing 3-1 in a best-of-7 series twice in 13 scenarios: the 1975 Quarterfinals against the Pittsburgh Penguins and the 1987 Patrick Division Semifinals against the Washington Capitals.
BENN, HOLTBY, KANE VOTED LINDSAY AWARD FINALISTS
The National Hockey League Players' Association announced that Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn, Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby and Chicago Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane are the finalists for the Ted Lindsay Award, presented to the "Most Outstanding Player" in the NHL as voted by fellow members of the NHLPA.
Click here for more information.
The NHL will announce the finalists for the Hart Trophy prior to start of play Saturday.
Video: TBL@NYI, Gm4: Bishop makes big stop in final seconds
Lightning goaltender Ben Bishop made 27 saves for his 20th career playoff win, all with the Lightning. He's one away from tying Nikolai Khabibulin (21) for the most by a Lightning goalie. … The Winnipeg Jets announced that they will donate $100,000 to the Canadian Red Cross, becoming the latest member of the hockey community to support relief efforts in Fort McMurray, Alberta. … NHL LiveWire: Jamie Benn was mic'd up for the Stars' overtime win in Game 4 against the St. Louis Blues. … ICYMI: Benn and country singer Shania Twain chatted on Twitter after the Stars played her music in the locker room ahead of their win Thursday. … The NHL announced the start times for second round games on Mondayand Tuesday/Wednesday.
GAME 5 LOOMS LARGE IN 2-2 SERIES
Per Elias, when teams are tied 2-2 in a best-of-7 Stanley Cup Playoffs series, the winner of Game 5 holds a series record of 190-53 (78.2 percent).