Skip to Main Content

Kings top Canucks 4-1

by John Kreiser
The only thing better than avenging a painful loss is doing it again. The Los Angeles Kings did just that to the Vancouver Canucks on Friday night.

Seven days after exacting a measure of revenge against the team that eliminated them last spring by beating the Canucks in their home opener, the Kings got another dose by beating Vancouver 4-1 at Staples Center.

Los Angeles got two goals by Dustin Brown and one each by Jarret Stoll and Justin Williams to win for the third time in four games. Daniel Sedin had the Canucks' only goal early in the third period.

Kings coach Terry Murray said his team had eyed this game for a while.

“There’s a great deal of importance to the game," he said. "Any time you lose in a playoff series, like we did last year, there’s check marks on the schedule, that those are the games you really want to come back and give solid efforts in."

Sedin's goal at 6:53 was his fourth of the season and cut the Kings' lead to 2-1. But Brown beat Roberto Luongo 50 seconds later to restore the two-goal margin, then connected again at 12:53 during a delayed penalty.

"Responding with a quick goal is what you want to see," Murray said.

Jonathan Quick finished with 25 saves and was solid until the final buzzer -- the Kings had to kill a 5-on-3 disadvantage in the last 26 seconds.

Neither Quick nor his teammates have forgotten the pain of seeing the Canucks celebrate on the Staples Center ice after ousting the Kings in the first round last April.

"We know they got a few wins against us at the end of last year, and obviously our guys came in here with a chip on their shoulder," Quick said.

Stoll scored the Kings' first first-period goal of the season just 2:48 into the game. Jack Johnson threw the puck toward the net; it hit Stoll's leg and deflected past Luongo to put the Kings ahead to stay.

Los Angeles got another early goal in the second period, making it 2-0 at 3:36. Ryan Smyth carried the puck into the Vancouver zone, cut to the right and pushed the puck over to Jake Muzzin. The rookie couldn't handle it, but Williams picked it up, cut to the net and took a shot that hit the skate of Vancouver's Kevin Bieksa and trickled past Luongo, who made only 15 saves as the Canucks fell to 1-2-1.

"We've got to focus on cleaning up our game," Luongo said. "It's not the way we want it, but it's early in the season, and I'm sure we'll see them again down the road. Right now goals aren't coming, but we shouldn't be panicking."

Daniel Sedin tipped in a pass from twin brother Henrik to get the Canucks on the board, but Brown finished off a pass by Anze Kopitar for his first goal. His second came when he whacked home a loose puck after drawing a delayed penalty.

"It was a good momentum change for us, when we score back-to-back right after they score," Brown said. "We kind of took the wind out of their sails, which was a big part of the game."

Material from team media was used in this report

View More

The NHL has updated its Privacy Policy effective January 16, 2020. We encourage you to review it carefully.

The NHL uses cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. By using NHL websites or other online services, you consent to the practices described in our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy.