Green Bay Gamblers defenseman Barrett Kaib was passed over in last year's NHL Draft. He's doing his best this season to prevent that from happening again.
The 19-year-old blueliner had four assists in two games over the weekend as he continues to have a strong return to the USHL.
Kaib had a pair of assists as Green Bay beat the Indiana Ice 7-4 on Friday, and he assisted on two more goals Saturday in a 6-3 defeat of Indiana.
For the season, the 5-foot-9.25, 190-pounder is tied for seventh among the United States Hockey League defenseman with 12 points in 23 games. Last season at Providence College, Kaib had just six points in 31 games.
Kaib wasn't the only 2013 NHL Draft-eligible player in the USHL to have a big weekend. Here are a few others:
* Waterloo Black Hawks goalie Calvin Petersen stopped all 26 shots he faced for his second shutout of the season in a 3-0 win against the Dubuque Fighting Saints on Friday. Petersen is No. 2 -- behind only his teammate, Eamon McAdam -- on NHL Central Scouting's preliminary ranking of USHL goalies. Teammate Ryan Papa had a goal and two assists in the win.
* Lincoln Stars center Luke Johnson had a goal and an assist Friday in his team's 5-1 win at the Omaha Lancers, and on Saturday he scored a power-play goal with one second left in the first period that stood up as the game-winner in a 2-1 win at the Sioux Falls Stampede. Johnson is No. 8 on Central Scouting's preliminary ranking of the top 25 draft-eligible USHL skaters.
* Tri-City Storm teammates Michael Vecchione and Jared Linnell each had a goal and two assists in a 4-3 overtime loss at the Fargo Force.
* Chicago goalie Alex Sakellaropoulos stopped 45 of 46 shots in the Steel's 3-1 win Saturday at Waterloo.
* Left wing Frank DiChiara of Dubuque had a pair of goals in his team's 5-1 win against the Cedar Rapids Rough Riders. Teammate John Stevens had a pair of assists.
* Green Bay right wing Kevin Irwin had two goals in the Gamblers' 6-3 defeat of Indiana on Saturday.
* Des Moines right wing Christian Lampasso had two goals in the Buccaneers' 4-2 defeat of Cedar Rapids on Sunday. Teammate William Nong-Lamberg had a goal and an assist.
Contact Adam Kimelman at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter: @NHLAdamK