To commemorate the official launch of the NHL's year-long Centennial celebration, an NHL® Centennial-themed float will be featured today in the renowned 128th Rose Parade presented by Honda in Pasadena, Calif. NBC's broadcast of the 2017 Rose Parade will lead into its live coverage of the 2017 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® outdoor game between the St. Louis Blues and Chicago Blackhawks at 1 p.m. ET.
• "A Century of NHL Greatness (1917-2017)" is one of 40 floats that will participate in the 128th Rose Parade presented by Honda, themed "Echoes of Success." The float features a floral 55-foot long hockey rink with dual goal nets and lamps.
• The float is comprised entirely of organic materials, including 165,987 flowers.
• From the front of the float to the back, the official logos of all 31 NHL teams are detailed with flowers and floral material and represented in alphabetical order at the base of the floral gardens. The official NHL Centennial logo stands majestically at mid float (covered in flowers) with the iconic NHL Shield prominently displayed. The floral rink includes two NHL face-off circles, two 2017 NHL All-Star Game logos nestled in a floral garden, four oversized pucks and a base of oversized silver hockey sticks.
Video: Time-lapse of the making of the Rose Parade float
• The Los Angeles Kings - who will play host to the 2017 Honda NHL All-Star Weekend, Jan. 27-29, at STAPLES Center as a highlight of their 50th anniversary season - are featured throughout the float and will take center stage when Hockey Hall of Famer and Kings President of Business Operations Luc Robitaille and his wife, Stacia; longtime Kings broadcaster Bob Miller; and team mascot Bailey™ ride aboard the float in the parade. The trio will be flanked by youth hockey players, including members of the Junior Kings program, who will wear jerseys for 30 NHL clubs.
• In keeping with the celebratory theme of the NHL Centennial, the float's appearance in the Rose Parade will feature a pyrotechnics show and music - Sia's "The Greatest" and Five for Fighting's "100 Years."
• "A Century of NHL Greatness" float in the 128th Rose Parade presented by Honda sits at the center of an exciting start to the new year and NHL Centennial festivities, which began with the 2017 Scotiabank NHL Centennial Classic on New Year's Day in Toronto and concludes with the 2017 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic on Jan. 2 in St. Louis.
• The NHL Centennial celebration will return to Southern California on January 27 with THE NHL100, a special event as part of the 2017 Honda NHL All-Star Weekend in Los Angeles. Tickets to the event are available at Ticketmaster.com.