Skip to main content

Holtby, Capitals far apart on arbitration figures: report

NHL.com @NHL

Goaltender Braden Holtby, a restricted free agent who is scheduled to go to arbitration Thursday, has submitted a request for $8 million per year, while the Washington Capitals have offered a one-year, $5.1 million contract, the Washington Post reported Tuesday.

A one-year contract would make Holtby, 25, a restricted free agent again next summer.

Sources told the Post the Capitals previously offered Holtby a multiyear contract worth about $5.5 million per season but Holtby wants more than $6 million per year.

Holtby was 41-20-10 with a 2.22 goals-against average, a .923 save percentage and nine shutouts in 73 games last season, his first as the Capitals' starter. He led the Stanley Cup Playoffs with a 1.71 GAA and .944 save percentage. The Capitals were defeated by the New York Rangers in seven games in the Eastern Conference Second Round.

Four goalies will make at least $7 million this season, according to war-on-ice.com: Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers ($8.5 million), Sergei Bobrovsky of the Columbus Blue Jackets ($7.245 million), Pekka Rinne of the Nashville Predators ($7 million) and Tuukka Rask of the Boston Bruins ($7 million).

Capitals forward Marcus Johansson, who had NHL career highs in goals (20), assists (27) and points (47) last season, is scheduled to go to arbitration July 29.

"I’m not worried about that," the 24-year-old told Swedish website Varmlands Folkblad in an interview published Tuesday. "I think I will continue to play [in Washington]. My focus right now is on training hard and getting myself prepared, for I know I will be playing."

View More