Skip to main content

Hard-skating Cataractes upset set defending champ Saint John 7-4 at Memorial Cup @NHLdotcom

SHAWINIGAN, Que. - Yannick Veilleux broke a tie at 13:14 of the third period as the host Shawinigan Cataractes upset the defending champion Saint John Sea Dogs 7-4 in the semifinal of the Mastercard Memorial Cup on Friday night.

The Cataractes (3-2) were playing their third game in as many nights but still outhustled the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League champion Sea Dogs (2-2) and outshot them 37-28.

Shawinigan advanced to the final on Sunday night against the Ontario Hockey League champion London Knights (2-1), who have been inactive since Tuesday. Shawinigan beat London 6-2 in round robin play.

Michael Bournival, Brandon Gormley, Loik Poudrier, Pierre-Olivier Morin and Michael Chaput, with two, also scored for Shawinigan.

Tomas Jurco, with two, Zach Phillips and Jonathan Huberdeau scored for Saint John, which won the Memorial Cup last year in Mississauga, Ont.

Shawinigan took a 4-3 lead into the third period, but the Sea Dogs tied it at 9:16 when Phillips won a faceoff back to Jurco for a snap shot under the bar.

But the deafening chants of "Go Cats Go" from the standing room only crowd of 4,763 erupted when Veilleux tipped a Morgan Ellis point shot just over the goal-line from the side of the crease at 13:13 to give the home side back the lead.

The Sea Dogs pressed hard in the final minutes, but Chaput jumped on a loose puck and skated in alone to score into an empty net with 30 seconds left to play. Morin added another with goalie Mathieu Corbeil back in the net with 10 seconds left.

The Sea Dogs started the game as expected when Phillips cruised into the zone and made it to the left circle untouched before he beat Gabriel Girard with a quick wrist shot 4:29 into the game.

But the Cataractes cranked up the pressure and Bournival jammed in a goal that stood up to video review at 6:51. Gorley scored a disputed goal from the point at 9:24 after officials failed to spot a high-stick that sent Stanislav Galiev to the Saint John bench with a cut on his face.

Jurco tied it at 2-2 when he tipped in a Kevin Gagne point shot on a power play at 12:38.

The Cataractes played with manic desperation in the second, outshooting Saint John 20-8. They took a two-goal lead as LeSieur's pass went in off Poudrier's skate at 9:14 and Chaput scored on a slick feed from Anto Zlobin on a power play at 10:39.

Then captain Huberdeau found a novel way to get the Sea Dogs back in the game. He fired a shot from just past his own blue-line that took a high, sideways hop in front of a sliding Girard and went in the net at 16:39.

Notes _ London coach Mark Hunter watched the game from a box at the top of the stands. The Knights were to watch it on TV at their hotel. . . Former Cataractes introduced before the game were tough guys Enrico Ciccone and Dave Morrisette and scorer Martin Gelinas.

View More

The NHL uses cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. By using NHL websites or other online services, you consent to the practices described in our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy.