Skip to main content


Flames rally, defeat Oilers in OT

by Aaron Vickers /

CALGARY -- Josh Jooris had timing on his side. Twice.

In his return after missing three games due to an upper-body injury, Jooris scored 1:08 into overtime to give the Calgary Flames a 4-3 victory against the Edmonton Oilers at Scotiabank Saddledome on Wednesday.

Joe Colborne scored twice, Lance Bouma once and Jonas Hiller stopped 17 shots for Calgary (21-15-3), which rallied for its NHL-leading eighth win when trailing after two periods. Calgary has a plus-23 goal differential in the third period, also the best in the League, and its 48 third-period goals are tied with the Tampa Bay Lightning for the most in the NHL.

"I think we felt good all night," Jooris said. "Each intermission we came in we were down but we just had a good feeling in this dressing room. No one was down and it wasn't quiet in here. We were upbeat. It was a positive energy around the room. We just didn't think we were going to lose this game so we came out hard and just stuck to our game tonight.

"The fact that we battled back again shows the resiliency of this squad. We never had a doubt in our mind tonight. Intermission everyone was upbeat, positive. I think that helped us in the third."

Matt Fraser, Jordan Eberle and Andrew Ference scored for the Oilers, who have two wins in their past 23 games (2-14-7).

"Unfortunately we couldn't close it out," Fraser said.

"I think this team is pretty fragile right now. I heard it a long time ago that losing can be contagious and part of that, being a new guy in here coming from an organization like Boston, is you've got to bring that element of your game where you're not content with losing."

The Flames, who trailed 2-0 and 3-2, won it when Jiri Hudler hauled the puck over the blue line before spotting Jooris, who beat goaltender Ben Scrivens over the glove to give Calgary its fourth consecutive victory. Jooris had just stepped out of the box after serving coincidental minors with Oilers defenseman Jeff Petry.

"It was a great heads-up play by [Dennis Wideman] and [Hudler]," said Jooris, who calculated that his last overtime goal came in his freshman season with Union College in 2010-11. "I was just hoping that we keep it in their zone and have possession of the puck when I came out of the box because its either Petry has 15 feet on me or I have 15 feet on him. I was fortunate to come out of the box at the right time and they just made a great play and I was able to put it in."

The Flames spent the night playing catch-up after spotting the Oilers a two-goal lead.

Colborne cut Edmonton's lead to 2-1 with 1:59 remaining in the second period. With Tyler Pitlick in the penalty box for elbowing, Curtis Glencross worked the puck to Sean Monahan, who spotted Colborne parked off the far post. Colborne corralled the pass and beat Scrivens for his second of the season.

Johnny Gaudreau nearly tied the game eight seconds later, beating Scrivens but not the crossbar. Bouma did tie the game 4:28 into the third, swatting a backhander past Scrivens to make it 2-2.

Edmonton (8-22-8) regained the lead at 9:29 when Ference scored, but Colborne tied it again with his second of the game at 11:55. Monahan's initial shot was blocked, but Colborne fished the puck out in the slot and slid a shot between Scrivens' pads to make it 3-3.

All three of Colborne's goals this season have come in the past five days against Edmonton.

"I knew sooner or later they were going to start to go in and it's nice to start getting some bounces," Colborne said. "It's especially nice getting them against them, but I wouldn't mind having this success against some other teams, too."

Though the Oilers managed all of one shot through the opening 14 minutes of the game, they cashed in on their first power-play opportunity of the game to take the lead. Fraser scored his first as a member of the Oilers by banking a rebound from below the goal line off Hiller's back and into the net to put Edmonton up 1-0 at 16:06. The goal ended an 0-for-27 drought with the man advantage on the road for the Oilers.

The Flames couldn't respond with a man advantage of their own late in the period.

Keith Aulie was ejected for a hit to the head of Flames forward Matt Stajan at 19:05, but Scrivens denied a one-timer by Mark Giordano and Curtis Glencross' rebound attempt in the dying seconds of the period to preserve the 1-0 lead.

With the long power play carrying over into the second period, Scrivens replicated his pair of saves, stopping another Giordano one-timer and denying Glencross again on the doorstep with the rebound at 1:25. A minute later, Dennis Wideman sent a shot that snuck through the Oilers goaltender, but Scrivens got enough of the puck for it to die in the crease and enabling him to freeze it

Shortly after the successful kill, Edmonton struck again. Leon Draisaitl spotted Eberle alone in the slot, and he beat Hiller over the shoulder at 10:28 to make it 2-0.

"Right now I love our starts," Eberle said. "I love the way we're competing for 40 minutes. It seems like the last two games, we've almost let them come at us and weather the storm and that's not how you win hockey games in this league. You keep going at teams. You continue to play the way that got you the lead."

View More