November 27, 2009
– 5 of the 12 games today are afternoon games
STREAKING TEAMS - PREDS & HAWKS LOOK TO EQUAL FRANCHISE RECORDS
STL @ NSH
– The Predators have quietly posted a seven game win-streak and look to tie a franchise record with their eighth straight – G Pekka Rinne
has posted a 1.80 goals-against average during the run. The Predators will wear their third jersey tonight.
CHI @ ANA
- The Hawks can tie the team record of 9 straight wins they set last season today with a victory over the Ducks. This year's streak is basically happening at the same time of the season (last year's began Dec. 7)
TWO "HOMECOMINGS" TO KEEP AN EYE ON
NYR @ TB
- Rangers' coach John Tortorella returns to Tampa Bay for the first time as coach after being fired by the organization following the 2007-08 season. Tortorella spent six and a half years in Tampa and led the Lightning to a Stanley Cup in 2003-04.
SJ @ EDM
- Dany Heatley
plays in Edmonton for the first time since he turned down a trade to the Alberta city prior to the start of the season. Edmonton Journal columnist on Heatley's visit: "Hell hath no fury like a city scorned. The fans in Edmonton are tired of stars either not wanting to come here or bolting, like Chris Pronger
did after they got to the Stanley Cup final in 2006. There is also the perception that Heatley jerked the Oilers around. They feel he was a spoiled brat, not wanting to play in Ottawa or Edmonton, yet wanting to play for Canada in the Olympics."
NJ @ BOS
- In addition to chasing Sawchuk's shutout record, G Martin Brodeur
is 21 minutes shy of Patrick Roy
's NHL record for most career minutes. Brodeur has 60, 214, Roy finished his career with 60,235. Brodeur is likely to break the record tonight if he plays - - the Devils' also play Saturday vs. NY Islanders.
PIT @ NYI
- It's the second meeting between Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby
and Isles rookie John Tavares
. Crosby had a goal, an assist and the shootout winner in their first meeting, but Tavares also had a goal and an assist in that game -- his NHL debut -- before coming up short in the shootout.
CGY @ DET
- Today marks the 49th anniversary of Gordie Howe
collecting his 1000th career point as a Red Wing in a 2-0 win over Toronto in his 938th game – Lidstrom completed the feat on Oct. 15, 2009 in his 1336th game.
November 28, 2009
Saturday is the 30th anniversary of the first goal scored by a goalie. Billy Smith
became the first goalie in NHL history to get credit for a goal when he was the last Islander to touch the puck before Rob Ramage of Colorado put it into his own net.
NHL Network US celebrates spectacular goaltending achievements on Saturday, Nov. 28, with a special programming block dedicated to netminders re-airing Dwayne Roloson
’s 58 save performance from Monday night as well Ron Tugnutt
’s 70 save performance from Mar. 21, 1991.