Skip to main content

Connauton scores winner as Vancouver overcomes Tigers comeback to win 5-4 @NHLdotcom

VANCOUVER, B.C. - Kevin Connauton scored a late goal to lead the Vancouver Giants to a 5-4 win over the Medicine Hat Tigers in Western Hockey League action Saturday night.

Brendan Gallagher had two goals, while Cass Mappin and Neil Manning also scored for Vancouver (6-2-2).

Tristan King scored twice for Medicine Hat (3-2-4), while Emerson Etem and Scott MacKay added goals.

Jamie Tucker made 29 saves in the victory.

Tyler Bunz, in relief of Deven Dubyk, stopped nine of 10 shots in taking the loss.

Vancouver held a 4-1 lead in the third until Medicine Hat scored three in a row to tie the game. Connauton's winner with 42 seconds remaining as his floating point shot beat Bunz.

The Tigers opened the scoring while on the penalty kill. After a clearing attempt hit the linesman's skate, Medicine Hat got a two-on-one and Etem capitalized on the pass from Linden Vey at 5:21.

The Giants evened it up as Mappin scored his first in a Vancouver uniform. J.T. Barnett won the puck on the forecheck, shovelled it to James Henry, who found Mappin in front of the net at 12:14.

In the first minute of the second period the Giants took their first lead. On a two-on-one Gallagher finished off a play started by Lance Bouma, notching his second of the season.

Gallagher bagged his second of the game on the power play. Manning fed the puck down low to Craig Cunningham, who was able to find Gallagher in the slot, and the second year Giant release a laser that beat Dubyk at 7:02.

Manning faked a shot, went wide and found the five-hole on Dubyk at 16:39, chasing the Tigers' goaltender for the game. Zach Hodder assisted on the goal.

The Tigers began to etch away at that deficit when King scored his second of the year from Bretton Cameron and Wacey Hamilton at the 3:15 mark of the third period.

About halfway through the third MacKay notched his first of the year, backhanding a rebound over Tucker, with Tanner Sohn and Cameron assisting.

The Tigers completed the comeback when King scored his second of the period. King was at the side of the net when the puck fell to his blade. He corralled it, took it to the forehand, and waited for Tucker to go down before roofing it at 13:34.

View More

The NHL uses cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. By using NHL websites or other online services, you consent to the practices described in our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy.