Skip to main content


Capitals rally to beat Bruins in OT @NHL

The Boston Bruins' season extended one day past its scheduled end due to the Marathon tragedy. That last game will mean something after all.

The Washington Capitals overcame a two-goal deficit in the third period and beat the Bruins 3-2 on Saturday night on Eric Fehr's power-play goal 3:23 into overtime.

The single point left the Bruins one behind the Montreal Canadiens in the race for first place in the Northeast Division and the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference. The Bruins need a victory of any kind against the Senators on Sunday night to finish ahead of Montreal; anything less and Boston will be seeded fourth and play the Toronto Maple Leafs in the first round..

"That's what it is, if we win, we're second place [in the conference] so a lot's on the line," goaltender Tuukka Rask said. "It's good that there are no games that don't matter. Every game has mattered this season and that's the way it's going to be until the end."

The Capitals had nothing to play for but pride -- they were already locked into the third seed as the Southeast Division champion and will face the New York Rangers in the first round of the playoffs.

Coach Adam Oates had a closed-door chat with his team after the game

"Tonight obviously is the end of the season, and we know who we're going to play and how soon we're going to play, so we talked a little bit about focus from now on," Oates said. "We came a long way to get this far and we obviously want to go a lot further, so we talked about rest and focus."

Milan Lucic and Andrew Ference gave Boston a 2-0 lead entering the third period. Washington captain Alex Ovechkin assisted on Mike Green's two power-play goals in a span of 1:55 in the third period.

Ovechkin didn't get a goal himself, but he did win his third Rocket Richard Trophy as the NHL's top scorer with 32 goals. He won in 2007-08 and 2008-09.

"It feels good. I didn't win personal awards a couple years in a row, so it's nice to come back," Ovechkin said.

Fehr won it when he poked in the rebound after Rask stopped Green's shot. Boston captain Zdeno Chara was in the penalty box for hooking. It was the fifth power play of the game for Washington; four of them came in the third period and overtime.

"[The Capitals'] power play is the one that killed us tonight and we knew that coming into the game that we had to stay out of the penalty box," Boston coach Claude Julien said. "Unfortunately, they had some pretty good power plays there in the third period that gave them that momentum that they were looking for."

Boston went ahead 1-0 at 9:59 of the first period when David Krejci won a faceoff back to Lucic, whose shot deflected off Capitals defenseman Karl Alzner and past goalie Braden Holtby. Ference made it 2-0 at 7:49 of the second period with a wrister from near the right circle that went past Lucic's screen and beat Holtby.

Green got the Capitals on the board at 5:30 of the third period with a wrister from the blue line for the first of Washington's three power-play goals. He tied it by beating Rask from nearly the same spot less than two minutes later.

Now the Capitals can turn their attention to the Rangers. The teams are meeting for the fourth time in five years.

"We're pretty familiar with their style of play, especially their style of play in the playoffs," forward Matt Hendricks said. "It's going to be a big test."

Material from team and national media was used in this report

View More