TALBOT LEADS OILERS PAST JETS IN HERITAGE CLASSIC
Cam Talbot stopped all 31 shots he faced to lead the Edmonton Oilers past the Winnipeg Jets in front of a sellout crowd of 33,240 at the 2016 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic at Investors Group Field in Winnipeg.
* The Oilers improved to 5-1-0 this season to move into first place in the NHL standings. They have won five of their first six games of a season for the first time since 1985-86, when they also started 5-1-0, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
* Talbot had the third shutout in 19 regular-season outdoor games to date. The others: by the Calgary Flames' Miikka Kiprusoff in the 2011 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic at McMahon Stadium, when he made 39 saves against the Montreal Canadiens, and the Anaheim Ducks' Jonas Hiller in the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series at Dodger Stadium, when he made 36 saves against the Los Angeles Kings.
* Talbot, who became a first-time father with the birth of twins Landon Thomas and Sloane Colleen on Wednesday, has started all six games for the Oilers this season, going 5-1-0 with a 2.75 goals-against average, .919 save percentage and one shutout. He has 12 NHL shutouts in 119 games, including four in 62 games with the Oilers.
Video: Talbot, Oilers shut out Jets 3-0 in Heritage Classic
Home Team in Caps
Edmonton 3, WINNIPEG 0
NY ISLANDERS 6, Minnesota 3
NY RANGERS 3, Arizona 2
ANAHEIM 4, Vancouver 2
DID YOU KNOW?
Road teams improved to 14-4-1 in the 19 regular-season outdoor games to date, including a 9-3-0 record since the start of the 2013-14 season.
HERITAGE CLASSIC QUICK HITS
* The Jets became the 22nd team to participate in a regular-season outdoor NHL game. The Oilers appeared in their second, after hosting the first regular-season outdoor game in League history, the 2003 Molson Canadian NHL Heritage Classic at Commonwealth Stadium, which they lost 4-3 to the Canadiens.
* Oilers captain Connor McDavid had one assist, giving him nine points (four goals, five assists) in six games this season. That is tied for the League lead with the San Jose Sharks' Brent Burns (3-6-9, six games) and the Boston Bruins' Brad Marchand (3-6-9, five games).
* Oilers forward Mark Letestu scored the second shorthanded goal in NHL outdoor game history. The other was scored by Flames defenseman Anton Babchuk in the 2011 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic at McMahon Stadium.
Captain John Tavares had two goals and an assist to lead the Islanders to their third victory in their past four games. … Defenseman Dan Girardi broke a 2-2 tie early in the third period with his first goal in 60 games, dating to Nov. 12, 2015, to lead the New York Rangers to their sixth consecutive win against the Arizona Coyotes, dating to March 24, 2014. … Forward Nick Ritchie scored the tiebreaking goal midway through the final period to lift the Ducks to a victory in their home opener. … Minnesota Wild forward Zach Parise scored two goals, including his 300th in the NHL. … ICYMI: Hockey Hall of Famers Wayne Gretzky and Dale Hawerchuk dropped the ceremonial opening puck prior to the 2016 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic.
Video: MIN@NYI: Parise beats Greiss for his 300th goal
SNEAK PEEK AT MONDAY'S ACTION
All Times Eastern
Philadelphia @ Montreal, 7:30 p.m., CSN-PH, SNE, RDS, NHL.TV
Calgary @ Chicago, 8:30 p.m., NHLN-US, SN, TVAS, CSN-CH, NHL.TV