Skip to main content


Brandon Anderson makes 29 saves to lead Hurricanes past Hitmen 3-2 @NHL

LETHBRIDGE, Alta. - Lethbridge Hurricanes defenceman Landon Oslanski scored the game-winner with his first goal of the season, while netminder Brandon Anderson kicked out 29 of 31 shots to preserve a 3-2 upset of the Calgary Hitmen in Western Hockey League action Tuesday.

With the win the Hurricanes improve to 8-11-2 and climb out of the Central Division cellar.

Lethbridge forward Carter Ashton got the Hurricanes on the board at the 6:59 mark of the first, leading a rush on a delayed penalty call before wristing a shot past Hitmen netminder Martin Jones for a 1-0 lead.

The Hitmen drew even on the power play with 7:30 left in the opening period as Chase Schaber snapped a shot high past Anderson.

Lethbridge took the lead back before the first intermission when Austin Fyten capitalized on a neutral-zone turnover that eventually led to a Braes breakaway. The veteran made no mistake, going backhand in a move reminiscent of his shootout winner over the Swift Current Broncos last Sunday and stuffing the puck past Jones.

Oslanski put the Hurricanes up 3-1 1:41 into the second, but the Hitmen answered midway through the period with their second man advantage goal.

Del Cowan was stopped in his first in-close attempt by Anderson, but made no mistake on the ensuing rebound to make it 3-2 Hurricanes after 40 minutes.

The Hurricanes thought they had regained their two-goal lead with a little over six minutes to go. But not only was the goal waved off, newest Hurricane Dustin Donaghy was called for goaltender interference.

With a little over two minutes to go in the second Fyten and Braes broke away on a shorthanded two-on-one and while Braes wasn't able to beat Jones, the rush drew a Calgary penalty as Matt MacKenzie was sent off for hooking.

The scant Hurricanes lead set the table for a heartstopping third.

Hitmen sniper Joel Broda rang a shot off the post with a little under seven minutes go to, and Ashton fanned on a rebound just to the left of an open net with Jones down.

With time winding down and Jones on the bench for the extra attacker, Ashton and Maxwell went offside on a two-on-one and in the final minute Carter Bancks rang a shot off the post.

But with five seconds left and with a faceoff deep in the Hurricanes end, Anderson was able to stop a dying seconds point shot as the Hurricanes held on for the win.

View More