Skip to main content

Blues rally to beat Columbus 4-3 in OT @NHLdotcom
The St. Louis Blues aren't going down without a fight.

The Blues, 13th in the West, spotted Columbus a 3-0 lead in the second period, then rallied for a 4-3 win at Nationwide Arena on Wednesday night, completing a sweep of a home-and-home series.

Chris Stewart flicked in a backhander 54 seconds into overtime to cap the comeback. He crashed the net on a rush from the left wing and wafted the puck over the right shoulder of goalie Mathieu Garon, nearly knocking his water bottle to the ice.

"He kind of tensed up to block it," Stewart said of Garon. "I saw an opportunity to make a move to my backhand. He bit. That's something I work on in the summertime. It's more of a men's league move. That's the first time I've tried to use it in the NHL."

It was the second goal of the night for Stewart, who came from Colorado last month as part of the trade that sent former No. 1 overall pick Erik Johnson to the Avs.

The Blues, now 10 points out of eighth place, trailed 3-0 midway through the second period and 3-1 entering the third

"In the third period, we knew we were going to have to play," coach Davis Payne said. "We knew we wanted keep working and let effort create results. Our guys did that. We found a way to get to overtime and then a great play on a rush advantage gives us the win."

Stewart has been terrific for the Blues. He has 3 goals and 2 assists in a four-game points streak and also pleased the hometown fans with his fighting ability in a 5-4 shootout win over Columbus just two nights earlier.

The Jackets got a point, giving them 71 -- eight out of a playoff berth -- but knew they had let another one get away.

"For about 33 minutes we did everything we wanted to do - we played hard, created chances, had some opportunities and scored some goals," coach Scott Arniel said. "For the remaining 27 minutes, we stopped playing. We made lots of mistakes. We got careless and got away from what we were doing right in the first half of the game."

Ian Cole had a goal and an assist and Alex Pietrangelo also scored for the Blues. Jaroslav Halak, returning after missing 11 games because of a cracked bone in his hand, made 19 saves.

Jakub Voracek, R.J. Umberger and Derek MacKenzie scored early in the second period for Columbus. The Blue Jackets have dropped six in a row, including a 5-4 shootout loss at St. Louis on Monday.

"We have to be better," said Columbus forward Scottie Upshall, acquired in a trade-deadline deal with Phoenix. "It was a great start and a poor finish. This time of year you have to be able to put forth your best effort every night. Tonight was kind of an off game."

The Blues needed just 6:23 of the third period to overcome the 3-1 deficit.

Cole, who had a goal waved off in the opening period, picked up his first career tally at 2:32 when his slap shot from the right side glanced off Garon's shoulder and fell into the net. Stewart got the tying goal by tipping in another Cole shot

MacKenzie's goal 8:07 into the second period capped a spurt that saw the Blue Jackets score three times in a span of 6:24. The Blues got on the board at 13:02 on Pietrangelo's blast from near the right hash marks.

"From that point forward we did enough things right to get ourselves back into the hockey game," Payne said. "The 3-1 goal was a big one to take into the locker room, to be on the board there."

Material from team media and wire services was used in this report

View More

The NHL uses cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. By using NHL websites or other online services, you consent to the practices described in our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy.