Skip to main content


Blues beat Canucks to end five-game skid @NHL
It's going to be an enjoyable flight home for the St. Louis Blues on Monday morning.

Alexander Steen scored his second goal 6:11 into the third period and added an assist as the Blues snapped a five-game losing streak with a 3-2 win against the Vancouver Canucks at Rogers Arena on Sunday night.

Matt D'Agostini had a goal and an assist, and Jaroslav Halak made 21 saves as St. Louis bounced back from a 2-1 overtime loss in Edmonton on Saturday.

"I think it's been a long time coming," Blues forward Jay McClement said. "We had some good games but haven't got the results. It was good to finally get the results. We just made good decisions all night. They have a good offensive team, so it was good to shut them down a little bit and score enough goals to win. It's a good feeling."

Jannik Hansen and Kevin Bieksa scored, and Roberto Luongo finished with 25 saves for the Canucks, who had won four straight.

"It's a place where we want to make it hard to come into," Canucks center Ryan Kesler said of Rogers Arena. "Obviously there's a bunch of excuses we can use for not being ready tonight, but you've got to give them credit, they were ready to compete. Bottom line is that we didn't execute tonight."

Steen, who opened the scoring early in the first period, beat two Canucks defenders to the puck after a faceoff in the Vancouver end, fought off a stick check in the slot, and lifted a backhanded shot past Luongo.

Missing three of their top forwards to injury — Andy McDonald, T.J. Oshie and David Perron — the Blues tightened up against the Canucks, who scored 20 goals during its winning streak. St. Louis allowed just two shots in the first 16 minutes of the third period before the Canucks added five in a late flurry.

Steen made it 1-0 just 4:13 in shortly after the Blues killed a penalty against the Canucks, who own the NHL's top power-play unit. Luongo made a good blocker save on D'Agostini's hard shot off the right wing and scrambled across the crease. But Steen put in the rebound off the goalie's shoulder.

"Steener was flying tonight," D'Agostini said. "He's been buzzing a lot lately. We just tried to get behind their 'D' and go get it and play in their end. The guys did a good job tonight. We worked hard."

Hansen, moved up to the second line after Mason Raymond came down with the flu, tied the game midway through the period. He went hard to the net and batted in a loose puck after Keith Ballard's point shot bounced through traffic.

D'Agostini gave the Blues a 2-1 edge 1:55 into the second period by deflecting in Eric Brewer's point shot after it changed directions off a Vancouver stick.

"It feels good to get one off the toe," said D'Agostini, who ended a 12-game drought. "It was just good we got the two points. It feels good in the room right now."

Bieksa tied it again, shortly after the Blues missed on a great short-handed chance five minutes later, when his shot from the top of the circle went between the legs of teammate Ryan Kesler and Halak.

That goal came just after the power play expired. The Blues killed all five Vancouver chances, and were helped when Alex Edler's shot hit the post in the final minute of the second period.

"It's a tough League to win in and every team is really good and everybody competes hard," Canucks winger Alexander Burrows said. "They came in here and they worked hard, they were on the D-side of every guy, they played a real smart road game and we didn't have our best."

St. Louis went 0-for-5 on the power play and hasn't scored on the man advantage in seven games.

Material from wire services and team media was used in this report.
View More