Skip to main content


BIG MOMENTS - May 3, 2009: ANA @ DET @NHL
The plays that turn the tide in every game of playoff action -- that is what the beauty of hockey history is built on.

Check back every night following all the 2009 playoff action to witness's game-changing moment from each game, as well as the rest of each game's goals, saves and hits.

You can vote on the night's best Big Moment.  Cast your votes after the night's action.

Thanks to all who voted -- and enjoy the 2009 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs!

Anaheim at Detroit - Game 2

A) Trying to grab the early momentum in Game 2, Chris Osgood continued his stellar play in the 2009 postseason with a big save.

Rob Niedermayer had the puck at the Detroit blue line and finessed a pass through two Detroit defenders to Drew Miller, who skated in all alone from the top of the circle and snapped a quick shot at the hash marks. Osgood reacted with a remarkable glove save, stopping play just four minutes into the game.

Osgood's save gave Detroit a boost and just two minutes later the Red Wings took a 1-0 lead. 

B) Entering the day, Ryan Getzlaf was tied for the NHL lead for most playoff points with 10. He kept things rolling in Game 2 at Joe Louis Arena.

After the Ducks fell behind 1-0 on a fluke goal six minutes into the game, Getzlaf brought the Ducks back to life just 2:16 later. Corey Perry fed Getzlaf a pass in the Detroit zone, and then the 6-foot-4 forward used his size and drove to the net. Chris Osgood denied Getzlaf's initial shot, but Getzlaf stayed with the play and swatted his own rebound over Osgood, tying the score at 1-1 8:16 into the first period.

Getzlaf went on to finish the game with a goal and two assists, giving him 13 points and making him the sole leader in the 2009 playoffs. His outstanding play both on the offensive and defensive ends of the ice led the Ducks in a courageous Game 2 triple OT win in Detroit.

C) With the game tied at two apiece and just under two minutes to go in the first period, Jonas Hiller was forced to keep the Ducks even.

Scott Niedermayer carried the puck out of the Ducks' end of the ice and made what could have been a crucial mistake at his own blue line. He tried to make a breakout pass, but Darren Helm read it perfectly and intercepted the puck. He skated in toward the goal and attempted a toe-drag move while holding off James Wisniewski from behind. But Hiller lunged forward and poked the puck away with the knob of his stick.

Despite surrendering two goals earlier in the first period, Hiller came up big and stood his ground at this critical moment.

D) Just over one minute into the second period, Drew Miller and Chris Osgood met up for the second time in the game. The result was much of the same, as Osgood delivered yet again for the Red Wings.

With the score still deadlocked at 2-2, the Ducks looked to apply early pressure on Osgood and the Wings in the second. Corey Perry had the puck at his own blue line and he threaded a beautiful pass to Miller, who was streaking down the ice. Miller skated in on Osgood all alone, and this time he decided to deke instead of taking a shot. He brought the puck to his backhand and tried to slide it five-hole, but Ozzie closed up immediately and stuffed Miller's attempt.

Osgood won the battle against Miller for the second time, as he continued to be there for the Red Wings.

E) After two scoreless overtime periods, Todd Marchant ended the marathon just 1:15 into the third extra session.

Known for his playoff heroics in the past, Marchant carried the puck and weaved through a defender and across the Detroit blue line. With Rob Niedermayer driving to the net and screening Chris Osgood, Marchant wristed a shot over the glove hand of Osgood and into the top corner of the net.

Marchant's first goal of the 2009 playoffs ended the longest game this postseason, and gave the Ducks a decisive 4-3 victory over the Red Wings, evening the series at 1-1 heading back to Anaheim.

FINAL SCORE:  Ducks 4, Red Wings 3 (3OT)

View More