Skip to Main Content

Ben Street scores in overtime as Penguins win 4-3 over St. John's IceCaps @NHLdotcom

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins continue to thrive on the road.

Ben Street scored the overtime winner as the Penguins won 4-3 and held off a comeback performance by the St. John's IceCaps in American Hockey League play Sunday.

Bryan Lerg, Geoff Walker and Paul Thompson also converted for the visiting Penguins (22-12-5), who swept their opponents over the two-game series, giving the team seven straight road wins.

"We don't prepare any differently or play a different style," said Penguins head coach John Hynes. "But for whatever reason we've been able to win more on the road."

Even with a schedule of bus rides between dates, the team still manages to consistently play with fresh legs.

"We try to have a good travel set-up for the guys so they can get loose and be ready," Hynes said.

Kenndal McArdle and Spencer Machacek answered for the IceCaps (22-10-6), while Jason Jaffray scored the game-tying goal.

Scott Monroe started in net for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and made 32 saves on 35 shots.

Edward Pasquale manned the crease for St. John's and posted 36 saves on 40 Penguin attempts after having missed four games with a sore knee.

"I felt fine in net," Pasquale said of his recovery. "I've been skating for a while now."

Bryan Lerg netted the Penguins third short-handed goal in two nights at 14:00 of the first on a breakaway to open the scoring.

Paul Thompson made it 2-0 at 16:44 as he knocked in a rebound from Bortuzzo's shot.

Spencer Machacek got his team back in the game at 2:18 of the second with a low shot on Munroe's stickside.

Geoff Walker upped the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton lead with a tip-shot on the power play at 12:05 of the second from a shot off the half-boards by Street.

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton couldn't stay out of the box in the first half of the third, taking four straight penalties. During the prolonged 5 on 3, Machacek tripped Penguin Robert Bortuzzo and was given two minutes, along with a 10-minute misconduct for disputing the call.

The Penguins's penalty killing unit survived the storm, but gave up a goal to Ben Maxwell on a Geoff Walker penalty several minutes later, fishing 6 for 7 on the game.

IceCap captain Jason Jaffray went top corner on Monroe's blocker side to force overtime at 13:50 of the third.

"It shows what's in that room," said IceCaps head coach Keith McCambridge of his team's third period comeback.

"We just played four games in six nights and to dig down and find the energy to take that game to overtime, I don't think there's anything for those guys to hang their heads about."

In the closing minutes of the third a Jason Jaffray shot ricocheted off Joey Mormina's stick and struck the defenceman in the face. There was no word on his condition immediately following the game.

View More