The New York Islanders
play their second road game in two nights when they hit Philadelphia (7 p.m. ET, VERSUS) for an Atlantic Division clash in one of four games in the NHL tonight.
Later, Montreal left wing Alex Tanguay
plays his first game against the Calgary Flames
(7:30 p.m. ET, RDS) since they traded him in June; the Nashville Predators
host the Vancouver Canucks
; and the Los Angeles Kings
play their only road game in a seven-game span when they visit Colorado.
Here's what to watch:
* Islanders center Doug Weight
, who has 20 assists this season, seven more than any teammate, has an assist in each of his last three games but has a minus-4 rating in that span. Weight, who hasn't had 60 points in a season since 2003-04, is on pace for 76 this season.
* The Islanders have a League-low two wins when leading after the first period and have a League-worst three losses when leading after two periods. The Islanders are in last place in the Atlantic Division, eight points behind the fourth-place Devils.
* Philadelphia center Jeff Carter
, whose favorite movie is The Dark Knight, is second in the League with 19 goals and tied for second in the League with 120 shots. Carter, who has never scored 30 goals in a season, is on pace for 60.
* Flyers right wing Mike Knuble
, who is one of four Flyers with at least 10 goals this season, has five straight 20-goal seasons. Knuble, who would like to learn how to fly a plane, has just 8 goals in 48 career games against the Islanders.
* Calgary, which has scored and allowed 80 goals, is tied for first place in the Northwest Division with 33 points, but is seven points behind the Detroit Red Wings
for second place in the Western Conference. The Flames, whose 31 third-period goals are the most in the division, have scored their fewest goals in the first period -- just 23.
* Flames right wing Todd Bertuzzi
, who scored 6 goals in his first eight games this season, has just 1 goal in his last 19 games, and none in his last 15. Bertuzzi, who has scored just 4 goals in 23 career games against the Canadiens, has played fewer than 16 minutes in four of his last six games.
* Montreal, which has the second-best home record in the Northeast Division at 8-2-3, has the worst power play in the division at 13.9 percent. The Canadiens, who are one of just four teams to not have at least seven home power-play goals, are one of just five teams in the League with five or more four-on-four goals.
* Canadiens left wing Chris Higgins
has scored at least 20 goals in each of his last three seasons and has 5 goals in 20 games this season, putting him on pace for 19. Higgins, who missed six games with a groin injury earlier this season, has scored just once in his last 13 games.
* Canucks right wing Kyle Wellwood
, who has 3 goals in his last five games, is second on the team with 11. Wellwood, who has played more than 16 minutes just twice this season, had his lone two-goal game of the season Nov. 4 in Vancouver's 4-0 victory against Nashville.
* Predators defenseman Shea Weber
, who leads the team with an average ice time of 23:58 per game, leads the League's defensemen with 11 goals and 25 points. Weber, who had a minus-6 rating in 54 games last season, has a plus-11 rating through 27 games this season.
* Los Angeles center Patrick O'Sullivan
, who had a minus-8 rating last season, has a plus-10 rating in 25 games this season. O'Sullivan, who had 93 points in 78 games with the Houston Aeros of the American Hockey League in 2005-06, hasn't had more than 53 points at the NHL level.
* Kings center Oscar Moller
, who represented Sweden at the 2008 World Junior Championship, is tied for the Pacific Division lead among rookies with 12 points. Moller, drafted in the second round in 2007, is averaging just 13:48 of ice time per game.
* Avalanche goalie Peter Budaj
, who has The Simpsons character Ned Flanders adorned in a Slovakian jersey on the back of his mask, has earned Colorado at least a point in three of his last four games. Budaj has faced more than 30 shots just once in his last seven games, but has gone just 3-3-1 in that span.
Contact Adam Schwartz at email@example.com.