BENNETT'S FOUR-GOAL NIGHT POWERS FLAMES PAST PANTHERS
Sam Bennett (4-0—4) scored four times – including a hat trick in the first period – to power the Calgary Flames to their third win in their past five games and halt the Florida Panthers' franchise-record point streak at 13 games (12-0-1).
* Bennett, who had his first career multi-goal game (42 GP), became the second rookie in the past 16 seasons to score four goals in a game. The other: San Jose Sharks forward Tomas Hertl on Oct. 8, 2013 vs. NYR (4-0—4).
* At 19 years, 207 days, Elias says Bennett is the youngest NHL player to score four goals in a game since Bob Carpenter (18 years, 227 days) accomplished the feat for the Washington Capitals on Feb. 25, 1982 vs. STL.
* Bennett became the third rookie in Flames history to score four goals in a game, joining Joe Nieuwendyk (2x) and Jiri Hrdina. He is the youngest player to score a hat trick for the Flames, shattering a mark previously held by Jim Peplinski (21 years, 24 days).
* Elias adds that Bennett is the first player from any team to score three goals in the first period of a game since Martin St. Louis on Jan. 18, 2014 vs. SJS (w/ Tampa Bay Lightning). Three other Flames players have scored three goals in the opening period: Paul Reinhart (Nov. 24, 1986 vs. EDM), Brian MacLellan (Jan. 14, 1990 at CHI) and Nieuwendyk (Dec. 14, 1993 vs. VAN).
* Bennett has scored five goals in his past two games after compiling 5-10—15 in his first 40 career games. He had 3-1—4 in 11 games during the 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs.
DID YOU KNOW?
Sam Bennett became the fifth rookie to get a hat trick this season and the third in the past four days (Max Domi: 3-0—3 on Jan. 12 vs. EDM w/ ARI and Sam Reinhart: 3-0—3 on Jan. 10 at WPG w/ BUF). The others: Arizona Coyotes forward Anthony Duclair on Oct. 14 at ANA (3-0—3) and Boston Bruins forward Frank Vatrano on Dec. 18 at PIT (3-0—3).
FLYERS, DUCKS INCH CLOSER TO PLAYOFF SPOTS
The Philadelphia Flyers and Anaheim Ducks earned wins to move within two points of a Stanley Cup Playoff spot in their respective conferences:
* Jakub Voracek (1-2—3) and Claude Giroux (0-3—3) factored on all three Flyers goals and they picked up their fourth straight win and sixth consecutive victory at Wells Fargo Center. Wayne Simmonds (10:10) and Mark Streit (11:32) scored 82 seconds apart to put the Flyers ahead 3-2 in the third period. Philadelphia shares third in the NHL with four wins when trailing after two periods (behind WSH and LAK – 5 each).
* At 19-15-7 (45 points), the Flyers moved within two points of the Bruins (21-16-5, 47 points) for the final playoff position in the Eastern Conference, where teams Nos. 3-13 are separated by six points. That includes five clubs within two points of a wild card spot.
* Frederik Andersen made 24 saves and the Ducks scored three unanswered goals in a span of 3:29 during the final five minutes to improve to 6-2-1 in their past nine games. Andersen earned his first win since Dec. 19 and is 6-3-3 in his past 12 decisions after going winless in his first eight appearances of the season (0-5-2). Shea Theodore, the 26th selection in the 2013 NHL Draft, broke a 1-1 tie with his first career goal (8 GP).
* At 18-17-7 (43 points), the Ducks moved within two points of the idle Nashville Predators (19-17-7, 45 points) for the final wild card spot in the Western Conference. They pulled within one point of the idle Sharks (21-18-2, 44 points) for third place in the Pacific Division.
Making his first appearance since Dec. 12, Flames goaltender Jonas Hiller denied all 15 shots he faced to record his 23rd career shutout (first this season). He is 6-1-0 with three shutouts in seven career games against the Panthers (1.71 GAA, .941 SV%). … Joonas Korpisalo made a career-high 41 saves to help the Columbus Blue Jackets halt a four-game losing streak (0-3-1). … Teammate Boone Jenner (1-1—2) scored his 15th goal of the season, one shy of tying his career high set in 2013-14 (72 GP). … Flyers defenseman Nick Schultz (1,000) and Ducks forward Chris Stewart (500) played milestone games. … Defenseman Seth Jones (0-1—1) got his first point as a member of the Blue Jackets (4 GP). … Flames captain Mark Giordano (0-1—1) extended his point streak to six games (1-6—7). … ICYMI: Watch Wayne Gretzky teach his grandson, Tatum, how to stickhandle. … The Coyotes claimed defenseman Kevin Connauton off waivers from the Blue Jackets. … The Department of Player Safety suspended Devils forward Bobby Farnham for four games for interference on Blues forward Dmitrij Jaskin. It fined Jets defenseman Tyler Myers for cross-checking Sharks forward Tommy Wingels. … The NHL and Capitals co-hosted the U.S. premiere of Soul On Ice: Past, Present, and Future as part of its Hockey Is For Everyone initiative.