Home Team in Caps
Buffalo 4, MONTREAL 2
TAMPA BAY 3, Detroit 1
CALGARY 4, Carolina 1
BISHOP, KUCHEROV LEAD LIGHTNING TO SEVENTH STRAIGHT HOME WIN
Ben Bishop made 24 saves and Nikita Kucherov (1-1-2) factored on two of his team's three goals as the Tampa Bay Lightning earned their ninth victory in 10 games and their seventh straight win at Amalie Arena.
* At 28-18-4 (60 points), the Lightning moved two points ahead of the Detroit Red Wings (25-17-8, 58 points) and the idle Boston Bruins (26-18-6, 58 points) for second in the Atlantic Division. They also moved within five points of the idle Florida Panthers (30-15-5, 65 points) for first place.
* Bishop earned his fifth win in his past six games and improved to 20-14-3 (1.99 GAA, .927 SV%, 2 SO), reaching the 20-win milestone for the third time in his career (all w/ Tampa Bay). Per the Elias Sports Bureau, he tied Nikolai Khabibulin for the most 20-win seasons in franchise history.
* Kucherov recorded his 13th multiple-point game of the season (50 GP) and has at least one point in nine of his past 10 games (7-6-13). He leads the club with 21-22-43.
MONAHAN'S CAREER NIGHT HELPS FLAMES DEFEAT HURRICANES
Sean Monahan (1-3-4) factored on all four of his team's goals and four other skaters recorded multiple points to help the Calgary Flames end a three-game losing skid (0-3-0) by beating the Carolina Hurricanes.
* Monahan recorded single-game career highs with three assists and four points (205 GP). Overall, he picked up his fifth multiple-point game of the season (49 GP).
* Calgary's 2016 Honda NHL All-Star Game representatives Mark Giordano (1-1-2) and Johnny Gaudreau (1-1-2) scored in a span of 38 seconds during the middle period. Gaudreau added an assist to register his 13th multipoint game of 2015-16 (49 GP); he leads the Flames in goals (21), assists (28) and points (49). Giordano also had an assist in his eighth multiple-point game; he leads Calgary defensemen in goals (12), assists (21) and points (33) this season (49 GP).
* Karri Ramo made 28 saves to end a personal three-game slide (0-3-0) and improve to 17-17-1 overall (2.57 GAA, .911 SV%, 1 SO).
SABRES RALLY PAST CANADIENS
Down 2-1 after 40 minutes, the Buffalo Sabres scored three unanswered goals in the final period, including the game-winner by Johan Larsson with 8:14 left, to defeat the Montreal Canadiens and improve to 5-2-0 in their past seven road games.
* The Sabres have earned points in seven consecutive road games against Atlantic Division opponents dating to Nov. 10 (6-0-1). Per Elias, the Sabres have earned points in seven straight divisional road contests for the first time in franchise history, eclipsing their previous best such run of six consecutive games last achieved Dec. 4, 2010 through March 10, 2011 (5-0-1).
* Robin Lehner made 33 saves to earn his second straight victory and improve to 2-3-0 overall (2.22 GAA, .938 SV%).
MILESTONES & BENCHMARKS
* Red Wings forward Pavel Datsyuk skated in his 922nd career game and passed Igor Larionov (921 GP) for sole possession of seventh on the NHL's all-time games played list among Russian-born players.
* Flames captain Mark Giordano had the 200th assist of his NHL career (all w/ Calgary). He became the fourth defenseman in franchise history to reach the milestone, joining Paul Reinhart (298), Gary Suter (436) and Al MacInnis (609).
The Sabres improved to 10-3-0 in their past 13 road games vs. Montreal dating to Feb. 15, 2011 (MTL: 3-6-4). ... The Lightning have won five consecutive regular-season home games vs. Detroit dating to Dec. 12, 2013 (DET: 0-4-1). ... Flames defenseman Dougie Hamilton (1-1-2) had his second multiple-point game of the season (49 GP), and teammate Jiri Hudler (0-2-2) had his sixth (43 GP). ... The Flames have won seven consecutive home games vs. Carolina dating to Dec. 11, 2003 (CAR: 0-6-1). ... The NHL extended its partnership with NOVA Sport in Czech Republic/Slovakia for another three seasons. ... Several additions were made to the Red Wings and Avalanche rosters for the 2016 NHL Stadium Series Alumni Game at Coors Field on Feb. 26. ... Jack Riley, who coached the United States to its first Olympic men's hockey gold medal in 1960, passed away at age 95. ... Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman has been suspended for 20 games, without pay, for conduct violative of Rule 40 (Physical Abuse of Officials) during NHL Game No. 742 in Calgary on Jan. 27. ... Flames goaltender Karri Ramo was awarded the Sportsnet Three-Star Cup for the month of January prior to puck drop at Scotiabank Saddledome.