Home Team in Caps
San Jose 4, COLORADO 3
Tampa Bay 4, CAROLINA 3
MONTREAL 5, Winnipeg 1
Buffalo 2, NY ISLANDERS 1
ANAHEIM 4, Nashville 2
CANADIENS CONTINUE STRONG START TO THE SEASON
Tomas Fleischmann (2-1—3) and David Desharnais (1-2—3) each had three points to lead the Canadiens to the win and an 11-2-0 record.
* Per the Elias Sports Bureau, the Canadiens have 22 or more standings points through the first 13 games of a season for the fourth time in franchise history and the first time since 1972-73 (9-0-4, 22 standings points). Montreal's best start to a season through the first 13 games was in 1943-44 (10-0-3, 23 standings points).
* The Canadiens improved to 5-0-0 at home this season (all regulation wins). Per Elias, the Canadiens won their first five home games to start a season for the first time since 1979-80 (6-0-0), which were also all regulation wins.
* Fleischmann, who scored the eventual game-winner at 16:26 of the first period, has 2-3—5 in his past two games. Desharnais, who equaled a career high in points, has 1-4—5 in his past two games.
* Mike Condon made saves on 18 of 19 shots to improve to 4-0-0 in the first four starts of his career (1.51 GAA, .944 SV%). Per Elias, Condon is the first Canadiens goaltender to win each of the first four starts of his NHL career since Wayne Thomas in 1972-73, who won his first seven starts.
* The Canadiens improved to 7-1-0 in their past eight home games vs. the Jets/Thrashers dating to March 29, 2011 (WPG/ATL: 1-7-0).
SHARKS, LIGHTNING EARN 4-3 ROAD WINS
The Sharks and the Lightning each earned a 4-3 victory on the road against the Avalanche and Hurricanes, respectively.
* Brent Burns scored twice – including his first career shorthanded goal – to lead the Sharks to their fourth consecutive win vs. COL dating to April 11, 2014 (COL: 0-3-1). Martin Jones made 23 saves to improve to 3-0-0 in three career starts vs. COL.
* Down 1-0 at the outset of the second period, the Lightning scored four consecutive goals off the sticks of four different skaters to end their four-game losing streak (0-3-1). The Lightning improved to 7-1-0 in their past eight games at CAR dating to March 3, 2012 (CAR: 1-6-1).
AROUND THE RINKS
* Chris Stewart (1-2—3) had three points, and Frederik Andersen made 40 saves to help the Ducks improve to 9-2-0 in their past 11 games vs. NSH dating to Jan. 26, 2013 (NSH: 2-6-3). Sami Vatanen (1-1—2) and Andrew Cogliano scored first-period goals in a span of 12 seconds. Per Elias, the Ducks scored goals in a span of 12 seconds or faster for the first time since Jan. 19, 2013, at VAN (Corey Perry and Kyle Palmieri in 0:11).
* Facing a 1-0 deficit to begin the third period, Matt Moulson tied the game, and Sam Reinhart followed with the first game-winning goal of his NHL career to lead the Sabres past the Islanders. Rookie Linus Ullmark made 29 saves on 30 shots in his second consecutive start to improve to 2-1-0 (2.02 GAA, .930 SV%).
MILESTONES & BENCHMARKS
* Avalanche forward Jarome Iginla scored his 180th career power-play goal. Per Elias, he passed Mark Messier for sole possession of 26th on the NHL's all-time list and is one power-play goal shy of tying Mike Bossy (181) for 25th.
* Lightning forward Steven Stamkos scored his 97th career power-play goal and passed Martin St. Louis for sole possession of second on the franchise's all-time list. Vincent Lecavalier is the franchise's all-time leader with 112.
Sharks forward Joe Pavelski (1-0—1) extended his point streak to five games, which includes matching a career high with goals in four straight (4-1—5)... San Jose forward Joel Ward (1-0—1) has 7-4—11 in his first 11 games with the Sharks... Lightning goaltender Andrei Vasilevskiy made 32 saves to earn the win in his first appearance of the season... Hurricanes forward Victor Rask (0-3—3) had a career-high three assists. Teammate Kris Versteeg (1-2—3) also had three points... Hurricanes forward Eric Staal (1-0—1) has 33-37—70 in 65 career games vs. TBL... Canadiens defensemen Andrei Markov (0-1—1) and P.K. Subban (0-1—1) are among six players who share the League-lead with 11 assists... Canadiens forward Paul Byron has scored shorthanded goals in back-to-back games for the first time in his career... Jets forward Nikolaj Ehlers (0-1—1) has 4-5—9 in his first 12 games and ranks fourth among rookies in points... Senators forward Mark Stone will have a hearing Monday with the NHL Department of Player Safety for an illegal check to the head of Red Wings forward Landon Ferraro... Members of the Canadiens wore special decals on their helmets as part of their Hockey Fights Cancer Awareness Night.