NEW YORK - As the countdown to the 2017 Honda NHL® All-Star Weekend, continues, the National Hockey League (NHL®) announced today that the 2017 Honda NHL® All-Star Game will return to a 3-on-3 All-Star Tournament among the NHL's most talented star players from each division.
The 3-on-3 format, which debuted last year, will divide the NHL All-Star Game into three 20-minute games, with star players from each NHL division making up the four All-Star teams: Pacific, Central, Atlantic, and Metropolitan. The 2017 Honda NHL All-Star Weekend will include the 2017 Coors Light NHL All-Star Skills Competition™ on Saturday, Jan. 28, where each NHL division's All-Star team will compete for the right to select both their first opponent and when their 2017 Honda NHL® All-Star Game semi-final matchup will be played; first or second on Sunday, Jan. 29. The winners of each semi-final game will face off in a winner-take-all $1 million matchup.
Details on the 2017 Honda NHL® All-Star Game format include:
• The 2017 Honda NHL® All-Star Game will be a three-game tournament played in a 3-on-3 format with a prize pool of $1 million to be paid in its entirety to the tournament's winning team.
• The tournament will feature four teams, one team representing each NHL division: the Pacific, Central, Metropolitan and Atlantic.
• Each team will be made up of 11 players from each division: six forwards, three defensemen and two goaltenders.
• The 2017 Coors Light NHL All-Star Skills Competition™ is now a matchup between each NHL division's All-Star team, with the winning division earning the right to select both their semi-final opponent and when their semi-final game will be played; first or second on Sunday.
• Each game in the 2017 Honda NHL All-Star Tournament will be 20 minutes in length.
• Teams will change ends at the 10-minute mark of each game. Games that are tied after 20 minutes will be decided by a shootout.
• The winners of each semi-final game will play each other in the All-Star Tournament Final to determine the overall tournament champion.
The Los Angeles Kings, who are celebrating their 50th anniversary, and the city of Los Angeles will play host to the 2017 Honda NHL All-Star Weekend. The festivities begin with the opening of the 2017 NHL Fan Fair, including the NHL Centennial Fan Arena, on Thursday, Jan. 26 and continue with the celebration of the 100 Greatest NHL Players at THE NHL100 on Friday, Jan. 27 (6:30 p.m. PT / 9:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN, SN, TVAS) at Microsoft Theater. Tickets to THE NHL100 and the reveal of the 100 greatest players in NHL® history are available here.
The 2017 Coors Light NHL All-Star Skills Competition will take place on Saturday, Jan. 28 (4 p.m. PT / 7 p.m. ET, NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS); and conclude with the 2017 Honda NHL All-Star Game on Sunday, Jan. 29 (12:30 p.m. PT / 3:30 p.m. ET, NBC, CBC, SN, TVAS). Visit NHL.com/AllStar for more information.