Toronto Marlies History
/ Toronto Maple Leafs
- 1204 - Town of Marlborough is officially established by King John of England.
- 1903 - Club secretary Fred Waghorne writes the Duke of Marlborough for permission to name his hockey club the Toronto Marlboroughs. Permission is granted.
- 1904 - The Marlborough Seniors is formed. They play in the Stanley Cup Final against the Ottawa Silver Seven.
- 1927 - Conn Smythe buys Toronto St. Pats and changes the team name to the Toronto Maple Leafs. He also purchases the Marlborough Junior A team as a farm team for the Leafs.
- 1929 - The Marlborough Juniors win their first Memorial Cup. Throughout the team's history, the Marlborough Juniors win a record-setting seven Memorial Cups.
- 1931 - The Toronto Marlborough Minors of the Greater Toronto Hockey League is established.
- 1937 - The Hot Stove Club is formed at Maple Leaf Gardens. It's created to raise money for amateur hockey.
- 1948 - The club adds Minor Bantam and Pee Wee teams to its organization.
- 1989 - The Leafs discontinue sponsorship of minor hockey, but the current Minor League Toronto Marlies are allowed to carry on the name.
- 2005 - The Toronto Maple Leafs announce its American Hockey League (AHL) team will relocate to Toronto starting in 2005-06. The Leafs rename its AHL team the Toronto Marlies.