TORONTO (Ticker) -- Darcy Tucker scored the go-ahead goal with 52 seconds left as the Toronto Maple Leafs overcame another shaky start by Ed Belfour and defeated the Montreal Canadiens, 4-3, in preseason action.
Tucker scored his first goal of the exhibition season when he beat Jeff Hackett with a slap shot from the right faceoff circle.
Yanic Perreault had rallied Montreal from a two-goal deficit, scoring at even strength 8:06 into the third period and on the power play over seven minutes later.
The Canadiens opened the scoring on Mariusz Czerkawski's goal 44 seconds into the game, marking the third time in as many preseason appearances with his new club that Belfour has allowed a goal on the first shot he faced.
Toronto scored the next three goals. Tie Domi tied it on the power play with 7:58 left in the first period. Of the enforcer's three preseason goals, two have come with the man advantage and the other with the Leafs shorthanded.
Shayne Corson added a power-play goal 22 seconds into the second period and Tom Fitzgerald tied it at 3-3 just 1:39 later.
Rookie defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo, a Toronto native, had a pair of assists. He has three goals and two assists in five preseason games with the Leafs but is not expected to make the team.
| Statistics First Period:
1. Montreal, Czerkawski 3 (Kilger, McKay) 0:44
2. Toronto, Domi 3 (Svehla, Kaberle) 12:02 (pp)
3. Toronto, Corson 1 (McCabe, Colaiacovo) 0:22 (pp)
4. Toronto, Fitzgerald 3 (Green, Antropov) 2:01
5. Montreal, Perreault 2 (Zednik, Petrov) 8:06
6. Montreal, Perreeault 3 (Brisebois, Czerkawski) 15:13 (pp)
7. Toronto, Tucker 1 (Sundin, Colaiacovo) 19:08
Montreal: Hackett (L,1-1)
Toronto: Belfour (W,1-2)