Kale's nutrient richness stands out compared to other veggies, making it a real superfood. Add more kale to your diet for these great benefits:
1. Kale is full of powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients that help protect against various cancers.
2. Gram for gram kale has more Vitamin C than an orange. Vitamin C improves immunity and hydration.
3. Per calorie, kale has more calcium than milk, which keeps your bones strong and supports a healthy metabolism.
Here is a Quick and Easy One Skillet Weeknight meal recipe:
Ground Turkey and Kale (serves 4)
• 1 Tbsp. olive oil
• 1 pound ground turkey
• 1 red onion, sliced thin (about 1 1/2 cup's worth of sliced onions)
• 2 large garlic cloves, minced
• 1 pound kale (1 large bunch), center thick rib removed, leaves roughly chopped
• 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
• 1 15-ounce can of white beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes (optional)
• Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the ground turkey. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the onion slices and turn the heat to high. Cook about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the kale, then add the veg stock. Cover the pan, lower the heat to medium and cook for 2 minutes. Uncover, mix everything well (the kale will have cooked down by now) and add the beans and halved cherry tomatoes. For an extra kick sprinkle on the red pepper flakes. Cover the pot again and lower the heat to low. Cook another 5 minutes, then turn off the heat. Let stand 5 minutes, and serve.
Provided by Megen L. Erwine RDN, LDN, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist at the Health and Wellness Center at Florida Hospital Wesley Chapel
Make it a happy, healthy day!