Hockey and the NHL are taking the world by storm as it is becoming more popular every year.
Between hockey's top players, team executives and more, the group of individuals behind the sport are making their mark on the business industry. Recently, the "Business Edition" of The Hockey News ranked its Top 100 people of power and influence in the hockey business.
It's no surprise that the LA Kings President Luc Robitaille landed in a top spot.
While Robitaille was ranked No. 22 overall, he landed the No. 1 spot among the Top NHL Team Executives. Robitaille beat out some pretty prestigious individuals for that No. 1 spot, including Scott O'Neil (New Jersey Devils CEO), Wayne Gretzky (Edmonton Oilers Entertainment Group Partnet and Vice-Chairman), and Brendan Shanahan (Toronto Maple Leafs President).
Robitaille was named President of Business Operations for the Kings in 2007 and then was promoted to President of the Kings in April 2017.
Video: Luc Robitaille and Rob Blake speak with the media
In his almost 12 years of leadership at the Kings, Robitaille has learned a lot and attributes a lot of that to surrounding himself with smart individuals that know how to do their jobs well.
"What was important for me was to bring the right people with me. I learned quickly that if you surround yourself with good people, you're going to do well," explained Robitaille when asked about how he took on his first year in the front office.
But it doesn't stop there.
Robitaille knows that he was lucky to have individuals he could lean on and ask for advice along the way, like John McDonough, Cam Neely, and Philip Anschutz to name a few.
While it's a huge personal accomplishment for Robitaille to be named the top dog among NHL Team Executives, he knows his work is not done.
"We have very, very high expectations in LA. Our goal is not to be the best organization in hockey, it's to be the best organization in sports."
Full List of Top NHL Team Executives:
- Luc Robitaille (Kings President, Alternate Governor)
- Scott O'Neil (New Jersey Devils CEO, Alternate Governor)
- Wayne Gretzky (Edmonton Oilers Entertainment Group Partner and Vice-Chariman)
- Brendan Shanahan (Toronto Maple Leafs President, Alternate Governor)
- Chris Ilitch (Detroit Red Wings Governor)
- Steve Griggs (Tampa Bay Lightning CEO, Aternate Governor)
- Cam Neely (Boston Bruins President)
- Ken King (Calgary Flames President, CEO)
- Chris Zimmerman (St. Louis Blues President and CEO, Business Operations)
- John Davidson (Columbus Blue Jackets President, Hockey Operations, Alternate Governor)
- Glen Sather (New York Rangers President, Alternate Governor)
- Paul Holmgren (Philadelphia Flyers President)
- Matthew Caldwell (Florida Panthers President, CEO)
- John Tortora (San Jose Sharks CEO)
- Sean Henry (Nashville Predators President, CEO, Alternate Governor)