Skip to main content
The Official Site of the LA Kings

Kings News

Taylor Wins in Relief

by Staff Writer / Los Angeles Kings
MANCHESTER, NH – The Manchester Monarchs scored five unanswered goals and goaltender Daniel Taylor stopped 29 shots to beat the Springfield Falcons, 5-2, in front of 4,625 fans at the Verizon Wireless Arena on Wednesday night. With the win, fans who attended the game will receive a free ticket to the Monarchs game on Tuesday, February 24 when Manchester hosts the Providence Bruins as part of their Winning Weekdays promotion. The Monarchs wore a specialty jersey that will be up for bid during the silent auction at the team's annual "At Your Service" dinner on Tuesday, March 10 at the Event Center at C.R. Sparks. To purchase tickets to the dinner, visit

Manchester (22-24-0-5, 49 points) is in sixth place in the Atlantic Division. Springfield (16-28-6-1, 39 points) is in seventh place in the Atlantic Division.

"Our team came out flat and left Jonathan [Bernier] out to dry," Assistant Coach Scott Pellerin commented. "We were lucky to come back."

The Monarchs got their first lead of the night when right wing Teddy Purcell scored his second tally of the night on the power play at 14:38 of the second period. Center Marty Murray gave a crisp pass to Purcell who waited for the goaltender to make a move and then backhanded the puck into the net. Left wing Matt Moulson also got an assist on the play.

The Falcons got on the board quickly when right wing Colin McDonald notched his fifth tally of the season at the 34-second mark of the first period when the Monarchs failed to get the puck out of the zone. Center Ryan Stone stole the puck and passed it over to McDonald at the top of the left face off circle. Stone ripped a one-timer, top-shelf over Monarch netminder Jonathan Bernier's glove.

At 8:46 of the first period, left wing Viacheslav Trukhno gave the Falcons a 2-0 lead when he put his fourth goal past Bernier. Left wing Jean-Francois Jacques passed the puck up the ice to a streaking Trukhno who used Monarchs defenseman Alec Martinez as a screen and ripped a snap shot into the back of the net.

After the tally, Taylor relived Bernier between the pipes.

The Monarchs got on the board at the 16:11 point of the first period when Purcell scored on the power play. Martinez took a slap shot just inside the blueline and Falcons netminder Devan Dubnyk made the initial save but the rebound landed on left wing Matt Moulson's stick who took a swipe at it. Taking the final whack at the puck, Purcell put in his 12th goal of the season.

At the 8:50 mark of the second period, the Monarchs evened the score when left wing Richard Clune notched his first tally of the season. After a long battle for the puck in the right wing corner between both teams, Clune dug it out to the slot for the low glove-side wrister to light the lamp. Center Brian Boyle and right wing Kevin Westgarth received assists on the goal.

Just 37 seconds into the third period, Moulson notched his 10th goal of the year. Purcell made a lead pass to Murray who made a crisp pass along the goal line to Moulson. The left wing one-timed the pass between the legs of goaltender Devan Dubnyk to give the Monarchs a two goal lead.

At the 2:07 mark of the period, Manchester was back at it again when left wing Vladimir Dravecky put the biscuit in the basket. Left wing Scott Parse beat both Falcons defenders to a loose puck and dropped the puck back to center Justin Azevedo. The rookie center saw a streaking Dravecky and made a sharp pass right on his stick. Dravecky snapped a wrist shot at the top of the left face-off circle past the goalie.

"It was a good character win," said Pellerin. "The team bounced back from a tough start."

Manchester went 2-for-7 with an extra attacker while Springfield was 0-for-8 with the man advantage.

Taylor (3-1-0) saved all 29 shots for the win in relief of Bernier (12-16-3) who stopped 3-of-5 shots. Dubnyk (15-27-1) stopped 31-of-36 shots for the loss.

View More