Skip to main content
The Official Site of the LA Kings

Kings News


by Staff Writer / Los Angeles Kings
WORCESTER, MA – Defenseman Tom Walsh collected three points as the Worcester Sharks held off elimination in Game 4 of the best-of-seven 2007 Calder Cup Atlantic Division Semifinal Series A with a 3-2 win over the Manchester Monarchs in front of a crowd of 1,543 fans at the DCU Center on Wednesday night. The Monarchs lead the series 3-1.

Worcester started their battle of being down three games in the series with the first goal of the game at 15:48 of the first period. Right wing Graham Mink slid a pass to Walsh at the left point. Walsh looked for the pass but opted for the shot on net that sailed past Monarchs goaltender Jason LaBarbera to give the Sharks a 1-0 lead. Center Torrey Mitchell earned an assist on Worcester's first goal of the game.

Monarchs center Patrick O'Sullivan evened the game at 1-1 with his third tally of the series. Left wing Jeff Giuliano skated into the Sharks zone along the left wing boards and dropped the puck back to O'Sullivan just inside the left point. O'Sullivan fired a one-timer into the net glove-side on netminder Dimitri Patzold at 4:56 of the second period.

Center Mike Iggulden's second goal of the series gave the Sharks the 2-1 lead at 11:11 of the middle frame. Left wing Mathieu Darche passed the puck to Walsh in the slot for a one-timer. LaBarbera made the save on Walsh but the puck squirted free to the bottom of the left face-off circle. Iggulden shot the puck from an odd angle that snuck into the net for a power play goal.

With 48 seconds remaining in the second period, left wing Matt Moulson tied the game at 2-2. O'Sullivan pushed the puck up to defenseman Oleg Tverdovsky who rushed into the Monarchs zone along the right wing and toward the net. Tverdovsky passed the puck to the slot where Moulson got his stick on it and redirected the puck between the goaltender's legs for his first goal of the series.

Walsh collected his third point of the game as he scored his second tally of the night at 12:24 of the final period. Iggulden skated on a 2-on-1 with Walsh. Iggulden passed the puck from the right face-off circle to Walsh streaking to the net on the left side. Walsh tapped the pass into the open net as LaBarbera slid from his left-to-right. Left wing Lukas Kasper collected an assist on the goal.

LaBarbera took the loss with 34 saves. Patzold earned his first playoff victory with 27 saves.

Manchester went 0-for-5 with the man advantage. Worcester was 1-for-6 on the power play.
View More