Skip to main content
The Official Site of the LA Kings

Kings News


by Staff Writer / Los Angeles Kings
Reading, PA – The Reading Royals (19 – 21 – 6 = 44; 5th North Division) scored on the team's first power play and led 2-1 entering the final period in regulation, but gave up a third period short-handed goal and then lost in overtime to the Johnstown Chiefs, 3-2. The overtime loss extended the Royals winless streak to four games (0 – 3 – 1). Goaltender Jeff Pietrasiak (11 – 14 – 2; 27/30) suffered his first professional overtime loss playing in his fifteenth consecutive game for the Royals. Three of the five games played this season between the Royals and Chiefs have ended regulation time in a tie with the Royals winning once in overtime (in Johnstown) and the Chiefs taking one in a shootout and this one in OT.

Reading scored first 7:03 into the game on the team's first power play chance of the night. Greg Hogeboom worked the puck to Reagan Rome, who in turn slid it to the top of the right circle where Tyler Kindle was waiting. Kindle settled and ripped a blast behind Johnstown goaltender Gerald Coleman (7 – 9 – 0; 30/32) for his first goal as a member of the Royals (and his eleventh of the season)–in only his second game with the team. Johnstown tied the game with a power play goal of their own in the latter stages of the second period. Zbynek Hrdel dug the puck out of the left corner and fed it out front of the Royals' net. The puck went off a Reading defender and slid towards the back door side where Stanislav Lascek was able to direct it through Pietrasiak at the 17:49 mark of the second. The Royals re-took the lead 1:08 later when Jon Francisco fired a shot from the top of the right circle that Coleman kicked out. The rebound fell to the top of the crease where a crashing Malcolm MacMillan was able to chip it over Coleman for his eighth of the season.

In the third, the Chiefs tied the game at two with a short-handed goal 5:02 into the period. Jean Desrochers tracked down a loose puck deep in the Royals' zone. Desrochers fed Brandon Elliot at the right point, and Elliot fired a seemingly harmless slap shot that appeared to deflect off a Royals' defender and into the net. The two teams played scoreless hockey through the remainder of regulation and appeared headed for more of the same in overtime, until Dmitri Tarabrin dug a puck off the right wing half wall and attacked the Royals' goal. Tarabrin fired a snap shot that beat Pietrasiak high short side to give the Chiefs the overtime win 3:06 into the sudden death session, handing the Royals their first overtime loss of the season.

View More