BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - The Ontario Reign, proud affiliate of the NHL Los Angeles Kings and the AHL Manchester Monarchs, beat the Bakersfield Condors 3-2 in a shootout Saturday evening, before a crowd of 6,226 at Rabobank Arena in Bakersfield.
In the first of two back-to-back games for the clubs in as many days, the Ontario Reign (22-14-2-1) took the lead over the Bakersfield Condors (13-22-3-3) midway through the first period. Ontario Reign defenseman Dan Knapp opened the scoring at 10:09 in the stanza, off assists from right wing Jon Rheault and defenseman David Walker, as he picked up his fourth goal of the season to put the Reign ahead 1-0. Bakersfield answered back when center Dave Bonk put the puck past Ontario netminder John Murray at 19:27, picking up his 13th of the season, sending the clubs into the second tied at one a piece.
After a scoreless second period, Bakersfield forward Matt Pope gave the Condors the lead, 2-1, when he knocked in a rebound from right wing Chad Painchaud on a shorthanded opportunity at 1:29 in the third stanza. Eight minutes later, Left wing Todd Jackson took advantage of a Condor hooking penalty as he tied the match on a Reign power play chance. Jackson punched the puck past Bakersfield goaltender Dave McKee at 9:49, with defenseman P.J. Atherton and right wing Itan Chavira registering the assists on the play, making the score 2-2. Neither team was able to find the back of the net during the final minutes of regulation, sending the teams into sudden-death overtime.
In the overtime session neither team was able to find the net to break the tie, as both teams posted only one shot each, forcing a shootout to determine the game winner. Ontario-s second shooter Jon Rheault beat McKee with a backhand to give the Reign the lead, 1-0. Bakersfield-s Dave Bonk put the puck past Murray with a top-shelf shot, and tied the shootout, 2-2. Defenseman Chad Starling, Ontario-s seventh shooter, buried a snapshot past McKee to give the Reign the win with a final score, 3-2.
1. Todd Jackson (ONT) - No goal
2. Mike Wirll (BAK) - No goal
3. Jon Rheault (ONT) - GOAL
4. Dave Bonk (BAK) - GOAL
5. Andrew Martens (ONT) - No goal
6. Mark Derlago (BAK) - No goal
7. Dale Reinhardt (ONT) - No goal
8. Matt Pope (BAK) - No goal
9. P.J. Atherton (ONT) - No goal
10. Chad Painchaud (BAK) - No goal
11. Tim Kraus (ONT) - No goal
12. Bruce Graham (BAK) - No goal
13. Chad Starling (ONT) - GOAL
14. Ryan Marhle (BAK) - No goal
- Todd Jackson currently holds a 3-game point streak (3g, 1a) (1/16/09-1/24/09)
- Itan Chavira currently holds a 3-game point streak (3a) (1/16/09-1/24/09)
- Dan Knapp currently holds a 2-game point streak (2g) (1/17/09-1/24/09)
- Goaltender John Murray made 33 saves on 35 shots in regulation, and 6 of 7 he faced in the shootout.
- The shootout win is the second in a row for the Reign, who beat the Utah Grizzlies 7-6 in a shootout on January 17.
1. ONT - J. Murray
2. BAK - D. McKee
3. BAK - D. Bonk
Join the Reign on Sunday, January 25, as they don their affiliate NHL Los Angeles Kings inspired jerseys for "Affiliation Night"! The Reign and Condors will each wear jerseys inspired by their NHL affiliates and the Reign will auction the jerseys off their backs in a silent auction during the game with proceeds benefiting the San Antonio Community Hospital.