The 2017-18 regular season starts next week, and there have been a few new rules implemented by the NHL.
To break it down, these are the five rules that have changed:
- No time-outs will be granted for the defensive team following an icing call
- If a team on a power play high-sticks the puck, the face-off location will remain the same regardless of the man advantage
- If a team challenges that a goal was offside and they lose the challenge - meaning the play was in fact "on-side" - the challenging team will receive a two-minute delay of game penalty
- Stricter enforcement of slashing by referees to reduce hand injuries
- Stricter enforcement of face-off positioning to increase the safety of the players and officials
Watch below to get a more in-depth explanation of the new rules and the direction of existing rules: