Skip to main content
The Official Site of the LA Kings

Kings News

Monarchs Win, 4-2

by Staff Writer / Los Angeles Kings
MANCHESTER, NH – The Manchester Monarchs won their third game in a row to capture fourth place in the Atlantic Division by beating the Springfield Falcons 4-2 in front of 5,012 fans at the Verizon Wireless Arena on Sunday evening.

Manchester (15-14-0-4, 34 points) moved into fourth place in the Atlantic Division. Springfield (12-16-4-1, 29 points) is in seventh place in the Atlantic Division.

"We have to give a lot of credit to our ECHL affiliate's coach Karl Taylor (Ontario Reign) for picking players for us to call up," said Head Coach Mark Morris. "Their (Rheault, Collins) continuous effort were key factors in tonight's win. We continue to find a way to win."

Right wing Jon Rheault scored at 9:25 of the second period to put the score at 3-0 in favor of Manchester. Captain and center Marty Murray passed the puck to left wing Vladimir Dravecky who quickly freed Rheault into Falcons territory. Rheault raced the puck into the right face-off circle where he sizzled a wrist shot over goaltender Devan Dubnyk's right shoulder. This marked Rheault's second goal of the season and the game's winning tally.

With only 51 seconds remaining in the first period, center Brain Boyle put the Monarchs on the board with a 1-0 lead. Defenseman Drew Bagnall launched the puck to Dravecky in the neutral zone who quickly released the biscuit over to Boyle. The 6-foot-7, 250-pound center slammed a wrist shot from the top of the right face-off circle that went over the left shoulder of Dubnyk. Boyle's fourth goal of the season started the scoring for night.

At 2:18 in the second stanza, center Tyler Mosienko picked up his first tally of the season with a power play goal. Defenseman Andrew Campbell pushed the puck to defenseman Josh Kidd at the point. From the left face-off circle, Kidd ripped a slap shot that deflected off of Dubnyk. Mosienko perfectly positioned himself for the rebound that deflected off his skate and into the net.

With a Monarchs player in the penalty box, the Falcons sank their talons into the Monarchs and put a goal on the board at 14:31 of the middle period. Skating on a 5-on-4 power play, right wing Carl Corazzini whipped the puck over to left wing Derek Bekar at the bottom of the right face-off circle. Bekar skated along the end line and slid the puck through the crease and to center Gilbert Burle who hit a one-timer that beat goaltender Jonathan Bernier putting the score at 3-1.

During the final stanza, the Falcons brought the game to 3-2 with tic-tac-toe passing and a power play goal at the 5:39 mark. Skating along the left wing, Brule passes the puck to center Ryan Potulny who was behind the goal. Potulny quickly one-timed the puck to defenseman Rob Bina between the hash marks. Bina ripped a wrist shot past the glove of Bernier that landed in the upper shelf. Bina's first goal of the season brought the Falcons to within one tally.

Monarchs doubled their lead at 7:41 of the final period with a goal from center Dusty Collins. Right wing Kevin Westgarth fired the puck toward the net. The rubber biscuit bounced off of bodies and landed in front of Dubnyk for left wing Paul Crosty to nudge over to Collins. Picking up his second tally of the season, Collins blasted a one-timer into the back of the net.

"We continue to get production from several different sources," said Morris. "It's fun to be playing at the level we're playing right now."

Bernier (9-8-2) picked up his ninth win of the season with 19 saves on 21 shots. Dubnyk (12-19-1) took his 19th loss of the season stopping 23 shots.

Manchester went 1-for-4 on the power play. Springfield was 2-for-5 with the man advantage.

View More