Skip to main content
The Official Site of the LA Kings

Kings News


by Staff Writer / Los Angeles Kings
SPRINGFIELD, MA – Center Rob Schremp scored a power play goal two minutes and 12 seconds into overtime to lift the Springfield Falcons over the Manchester Monarchs 3-2 in overtime in front of 2,013 fans at the MassMutual Center on Sunday evening.

Manchester (0-1-1-0) is ranked fifth in the Atlantic Division with one point after two games. Springfield (2-1-0-0) leads the Atlantic Division with four points in three games.

Schremp's first goal of the season and game-winner came when he picked up the rebound from right wing Colin McDonald's shot that trickled out to the right face-off circle. Schremp settled the puck and then sent a slap shot over the right should of Monarchs goaltender Erik Ersberg for the winning tally at 2:12 of overtime. Former Monarchs defenseman T.J. Kemp collected the second assist on the goal.

Monarchs rookie Young Gun center David Meckler scored his first professional goal to start the scoring off at 4:18 of the opening period. Left wing Matt Moulson received a pass from center Gabe Gauthier just inside the right point. Moulson held the puck until just the right moment when he fired a shot on goaltender Devan Dubnyk. The initial shot was saved but the rebound was redirected to the right of Dubnyk where Meckler was stationed for the flip of the wrist and the first goal of the game.

Less than 10 minutes later, center Patrick Thoresen evened the game at 1-1 with his first goal of the season. The Falcons where on the power play when center Zack Stortini shot the puck from the right face-off circle and Ersberg made the chest pad save. Thoresen picked up the puck from the top of the crease and roofed it over Ersberg at 13:37 of the first period. Left wing Liam Reddox earned an assist on Thoresen's goal.

Stortini scored a goal of his own at 18:22 of the first frame to give the Falcons the lead heading into the locker room. On a two-on-one break into the Monarchs zone, right wing Troy Bodie fed a pass over the lone Manchester defenseman's stick to Stortini who controlled the puck and sent a backhander over Ersberg's right pad for the 2-1 lead. Defenseman Danny Syvret picked up an assist on Stortini's second tally of the season.

After a scoreless second period, right wing Kevin Westgarth wasted no time to even the game at 2-2 as he scored his first goal of the season at 1:06 of the final frame. Defenseman Richard Petiot threw the puck on net and Westgarth was there to push the rebound past Dubnyk to bring the two teams back to even territory.

Ersberg took the loss for Manchester with 13 saves on 16 shots. Dubnyk earned the victory stopping 35-of-37 shots.

Manchester went 0-for-5 on the power play. Springfield was 2-for-5 with the man advantage.

The Monarchs next game is Friday, October 12 against the Hartford Wolf Pack at the Verizon Wireless Arena. The puck will drop at 7:05 p.m. Catch all the action with Ken Cail on the Monarchs Radio Network WGIR-AM 610 and at Watch the game live on B2 Networks for just $6 per game. Log onto and click on the link to B2 Networks ten minutes prior to each Monarchs game to watch the game live.

View More