Skip to main content
The Official Site of the LA Kings

Kings News

Monarchs Fall, 4-1

by Staff Writer / Los Angeles Kings
WORCESTER, MA – The Manchester Monarchs tried to fight their way back from deficit but could only muster one goal in their 4-1 loss to the Worcester Sharks in front of 3,303 fans at the DCU Center on Saturday night.

Manchester (2-5-0-1) is in seventh place in the Atlantic Division with five points. Worcester (4-4-0-0) is in sixth place in the Atlantic Division with seven points.

Center Tom Cavanagh's power play tally at 14:26 of the opening frame deemed the game-winner of the contest. Right wing Mike Morris carried the puck into the Monarchs zone and positioned himself at the top inside corner of the left face-off circle. Cavanagh set himself up at the top right corner of the crease and redirected a pass from Morris over Manchester goaltender Jonathan Quick's left pad for his third goal of the season. Center Steven Zalewski picked up an assisted on the game-winning goal.

Sharks' center Chad Larose began the game's scoring by netting his fourth goal of the season at 4:34 of the first period. Cavanagh fired the puck on Quick who made the initial save but Larose was on the doorstep to backhand the rebound into the net. Right wing Ryan Vesce earned an assist on the first goal of the game.

Right wing Denny Johnston cut the Sharks lead in half with his first professional goal of his career at 17:42 of the opening stanza. Defenseman Viatcheslav Voynov poked the puck up the ice from the neutral zone to Johnston who was streaking into Sharks territory all alone. Johnston picked up the puck, skated down the left wing and flipped the puck top shelf on netminder Thomas Greiss. Defenseman Alec Martinez picked up an assist to bring the score to 2-1.

Following a scoreless second period, the Sharks picked up an insurance goal at 6:06 of the final period off the stick of left wing Lukas Kaspar. Skating on the power play, Larose passed the puck to defenseman Jason Demers who drove to the net. Several bodies fell in front of Quick and the puck squirted free to the bottom of the right face-off circle where Kaspar was standing for a one-timer that beat Quick who was down on the ice for his first goal of the season.

Morris finished off the Monarchs with an unassisted tally at 12:13 of the third period. Morris carried the puck from the neutral zone and down the right wing boards. He skated along the boards, around the Monarchs net and slipped the puck over the goal line barely missing Quick's toes in the wrap around for his second goal of the season.

Quick (1-4-0) took his fourth loss of the season with 30 saves. Greiss (4-4-0) earned his fourth victory of the season stopping 23-of-24 shots.

Manchester went 0-for-4 with the man advantage. Worcester was 2-for-5 on the power play.

View More