Skip to main content
The Official Site of the LA Kings

Kings News

Monarchs Caught Whale Watching

by Staff Writer / Los Angeles Kings
HARTFORD, CT – Goaltender Cameron Talbot earned his first shutout of the season, backstopping the Connecticut Whale to a 5-0 win over the Manchester Monarchs at the XL Center Veterans Memorial Coliseum on Friday night.

Manchester (3-4-0-0) is tied for second place in the Atlantic Division with the Providence Bruins (3-3-0-0) with six points each.  Connecticut (2-1-0-2) is tied for second place in the Northeast Division with the Springfield Falcons (3-3-0-0) and Bridgeport Sound Tigers (3-3-0-0) with six points each.
“Not much mojo from our team tonight,” said Monarchs Head Coach Mark Morris.  “We were a step slow all game.  Efforts like that are better forgotten. Turn the page, take a good look in the mirror, take a deep breath and press the reset button.  Tomorrow’s a new day.”
The Whale opened the scoring at 8:37 of the first period.  With the Monarchs scrambling in their own end, the Whale caused a turnover and right wing Andreas Thuresson grabbed the puck along the right wing boards and skated toward the middle of the zone.  Thuresson released a rising backhand from just inside the center point.  The goal beat Monarchs netminder Martin Jones high on his glove side with center Kelsey Tessier screening Jones’ view for the eventual game-winning goal.
Scoring their first power play of the night, Whale right wing Mats Zuccarello gave Connecticut a 2-0 lead with his first tally of the season.  Zuccarello wristed a shot on the left doorstep of the netminder that ricocheted off of Jones’ pads and trickled in.  Whale center John Mitchell set up the goal by driving in from the left point and finding Zuccarello to the left of the net.  Defenseman Blake Parlett also registered an assist on Zuccarello’s goal only 42 seconds into the middle stanza.
The Whale scored their second power play goal of the night off the stick of center Andre Deveaux. With Monarchs left wing Ray Kaunisto in the box for unsportsmanlike conduct, Whale defenseman Wade Redden carried the puck along the left wing boards and deep into the left corner of the Monarchs zone.  Redden sent a pass to the front of the net to Deveaux who redirected the puck into the net at 7:28 of the second period.  Parlett grabbed his second assist of the night on Deveaux’s third goal of the season which brought the score to 3-0.
Zuccarello scored his second goal of the night and second of the season to stretch the lead to 4-0 at 14:04 of the second stanza.  The right winger took the puck from the right wing boards to the center point before releasing a quick wrist shot that eluded Jones.  Mitchell tallied the lone assist on the play.
Completing a four-goal second period, Connecticut made it 5-0 with Mitchell’s first goal of the season at 16:45.  Zuccarello corralled the puck along the right wing boards and centered it to Mitchell.  Skating through the Monarchs zone, Mitchell snapped a wrist shot from the lower, inside edge of the left face-off circle to beat Jones high on the stick side.
Jones (3-3-0) picked up his third loss of the season stopping 22-of-27 shots.  Monarchs goaltender Jeff Zatkoff relieved Jones for the start of the third period stopping all six shots he faced.  Talbot (1-0-0) picked up his first victory and shutout of the season, stopping all 23 shots he faced.
The Monarchs went 0-for-4 on the power play.  Connecticut was 2-for-5 with the man advantage.
Notables: The Monarchs dropped their third consecutive road game…Manchester finish their six-game road trip in Worcester on Saturday night…The Monarchs are 2-3 on the road this season…Monarchs goaltender Jeff Zatkoff played the third period and stopped all six shots he faced…Manchester was shutout for the second time this season and first time on the road.
View More